Chapter 5

"THAT'S HIM!"

"Oh my God, he's a total hottie."

"Yeah, I could screw him here, like right now."

"He looks like he's taken though. Who's that ugly ass beside him?"

"Kate Johnson?!"

The hushed whispers quickly stopped as soon as I entered the hallway with Jace putting an arm around me.

I couldn't fend him off if I wanted to - I want to, but he just wouldn't leave me alone. From disrupting my beauty sleep at six in the morning by blaring rap music in my ears to escorting me to each class every single day, I was very afraid that if this continues, I would never get him out of my sight in my entire life.

I snuck a glance at Jace, curious to know if all the attention affected him just as much as it affected me only to find him looking at his phone in amusement.

How can he stand all these stares everyday? I could not even walk to my lockers without having the urge to scurry to the washroom to check if I have worn my clothes.

"Hey Jace!" I finally whispered frantically, nudging him as girls looked at me with so much hate that I flinched.

"Yes Kit Kat?" He drawled, pocketing his Samsung Galaxy A5.

"I can't stand this anymore! Those...those bimbos keep glaring at me! How do you even stand this everyday? Can you tell them to stop looking at me like that?" I gestured wildly while speaking to him in hushed tones. Jace raised his eyebrows at me and finally gave them a glance. As if he just realised their existence, his eyebrows furrowed adorably.

"You're affected by them?" He asked me.

"Uh...no? I mean yes! Wait, no! I just hate those glares they give me! It's like they hate me because of you, or Peter, or Annabelle, yes I think Annabelle, because of the..." I trailed off, realising what I had almost admitted.

Jace caught on, and his grip on me tightened. "Don't let those fuckers affect you, Kit Kat. They aren't worthy of your attention and their opinions do not matter because they are nothing. While you on the other hand, are more worthy than all of their plastic faces combined, remember that." He whispered in such a low voice that I wouldn't had caught it if not for his body pressed against me.

Startled by his speech, I blinked and replied monotonelessly, "But...how can I even think that I am not trash if I am already one?"

Flashes of my brother appeared in front of me and I forced myself to blink back the water in my eyes. Jace looked at me with mixed emotions - Confusion, concern and curiosity, as if he was figuring me out on the spot. But before he could say anything, Peter walked into the hallway and he yanked his arm off my shoulder instantly.

"Hey babe." Peter greeted me as soon as he spotted me.

"Hey Peter." I returned his kiss halfheartedly, glaring at Jace who was standing right behind Peter making kissy faces that made him look unfortunately very cute.

"You're also hanging out with the group, right?" Peter asked me.

I nodded, smiling at him. "Right. See ya later."

After Peter left, Jace regained his usual position and slung his arm around my shoulder.

"So, what time to fetch my Kit Kat tonight?"

-

"Miss Johnson, you are very late." Mr Buckbeak glared at me behind his large metal spectacles.

"She's with me, Hagrid, don't you worry." Jace sauntered behind me, smiling at Mr Buckbeak. Since when were they on first-name terms?

But it was Jace we're talking about. Who knows what he will do next?