|Chapter Thirty Two|

Ruby

     It's been two weeks since I visited Ethan's office and I have been able to keep him off. Today started unlike any other day with clouds darkening by the hour because of the threatening rain that is yet to rain a drop. I had called in sick this morning because I was just so tired, bone tired, I knew stress was trying to play a number on me. Considering the fact that I have been diligent with my work since I became employed, I was granted a two-day leave by my boss himself, Mills.

Around 12:00pm, I heard a knock on my door, it came again and I uncurled my reluctant body from my sofa and put down my laptop. Then u went to open the door, Devin! I asked my voice laced with surprise and disbelief,

"Devin, what are you doing here?"

"I'm not welcomed?" He asked, faking a hurt expression and making me chuckle,

"No it's not that, I mean..." I tried to correct myself,

"That's all right, I came to deliver this to you from Ethan ." He said raising the bag in his hand,

"Will you open it?"

"As you wish." He said and patiently brought out a long box, in it sat a golden necklace with the engraved words R&E, I gasped,

"No, I can't take this."

"But Ruby..."

"No Devin, tell him I don't want it and you had better head out cause the rain can start anytime from now."

"All right." Devin said, snapping the box close and shoving it back into the bag and he turned on his heels and I locked the door. I went back to my movie and curled up on the sofa again.

About fifteen minutes later, the anticipated rain started with full force. I stood up to close my windows and draw the drapes together then I went into the kitchen to get me a tub of chocolate flavored ice cream with cookies. Then I went back to my episode movie, Blackish. This is the life I thought as a small smile played on my lips.

Some minutes later, I heard a knock, no, more like banging. Who would want to break down my door? I paused my movie, stood up and made my way to the door. I opened my door to see a fairly wet Ethan, ohhhkay, I so did not expect this,

"Why...?"

"Can I just come in?" He asked and I stepped back to let him in, he came in and removed his shoes and then he removed his suit and hanged it by the coat stand and he went ahead to make himself comfortable on the chair and removed his tie too, unhooking two buttons of his shirt. I stood by the door watching him quietly, then hurricane Ethan started, his voice so calm yet the anger underneath is unmistakable,

"What is your problem? Why are you giving me this helluva stress? Why are you making things so difficult? For two weeks now, you put me off, let's even leave the fact that I travelled to London for work after the last time we saw but I came back that weekend and you just decided that the only thing that would bring you joy is to burst my bubble. I send you a message, it takes you two days to reply. What is that? What did I do wrong all of a sudden?" By now, his voice was louder and I could feel the anger and frustration radiating from him. I really do not like this angry Ethan.

"I am waiting. Can't you talk or are you going to be stubborn about this ? Oh my! Who is in the garden, a big angry Ethan. I walked to a seat opposite him and sat down,

"I was so scared okay, I was feeling out of place. I don't deserve you. I am out of your league, even your Secretary could not decipher that I am not a client and that it might be possible we have some sort of relationship I don't fit in, you are walking money, I am just from a comfortable home."

"Ruby..." He tried to interrupt,

"I am scared because I love you and I don't want you to just wake up one day and dump me because of my past, because of my status, because..."

"Shut up, just shut your mouth!" He said louder and I clamped my mouth shut, he stretched his left hand to me and I stood up to take it then he pulled me so I was sitting on his lap, I looked down at my fingers sitting sideways,

"Look at me." He said and I did then he continued,

"Baby, I don't want you thinking like this. No one and nothing can make you feel inferior without your consent. If you keep thinking like this, we will go nowhere. You are beautiful, smart, intelligent, goal achieving, dream chasing.

"You are your own woman and I love the fact that you are you. You are not hiding behind any facade. Money should not be the problem here, what I have is yours. Ruby, I love you more than you can ever imagine. You complete me. You are important to me."

"I am sorry. I love you too."

"And I love you. So, we should go get married immediately, right?"

"Ethan!" I exclaimed in surprise as I hit his chest.

"Come on. Anyway, you know all you could have done is to tell me, that's what makes us friends before lovers, that you can tell me anything and there is this thing called a cell phone which you can use to call, sms or even chat me up. Please Ruby, do not let me age before my time. I am sure I aged like ten years immediately Devin said you were mad at me."

"Sorry. I just did not know how to say it."

"Apology will only be accepted if you prepare that homemade mashed potato with veggies you gisted me about before you went AWOL."

"Mashed potatoes? Okay I will but with two conditions."

"What and what?"

"I don't have potatoes growing in my kitchen so we have to go get some at the grocery store and two, you will help me in the kitchen."

"God! Can't a man get some food without working around here?"

"No, he can't. So, are you game?"

"I have no other choice."

"Okay, let me change and grab an umbrella."

"I will be waiting right here." He said and kissed the side of my head before I stood up.

I returned to my cozy sitting room with my blue panda designed umbrella, my short gown traded for a denim pant and a red turtle neck blouse, I looked up to see Ethan standing by the window his sleeves folded up, gosh, how can someone look so good, like he just stepped out of a magazine. Sensing me, I guessed, he turned and asked,

"Shall we?"

"Yeah." I said and he put on his shoes and opened the door for me, then we left.

He wanted us to take his car but I discouraged him since my favourite grocery store is just fifteen minutes from my apartment. It was fun shopping with Ethan, he kept putting everything in the cart. Soon we were on our way home and Ethan insisted we take a cab to relieve us of the grocery bags. I agreed.