Chapter 39 : The Twist In The Story

I was not dumb. I could find the answers to most of the conundrums. Ally was the fiancé of Clark who chickened out in their wedding day. She left Clark for another boy and that boy was my brother Zach. And they all once lived under my grandfather's roof, so that made Robert my grandfather!

Holy shit!

My mother never mentioned her father was a millionaire nor did my brother. Life was so unfair, but I knew why I was forbidden to not associate with my grandparents. My grandfather who was most likely Robert, abandoned my mum after they got the news that she was pregnant at a young age. My mum sought shelter in my father's home and with her already saved funds [which was a lot since her family was super rich] she completed her education.

My mum was so mad at Zach when he left us to go to college in London and live with our grandparents. My grandparents readily accepted him as a sign of seeking forgiveness from my mum. I was never allowed to meet them since my mum thought that like Zach, I would go away too.

I never met my grandparents in my eighteen years of life. They had visited my town after mum's death, but we didn't cross paths. They lived in a hotel, visited the grave after the funeral was over since my dad didn't wish for them to stay. They came and went away quietly like a mouse that I didn't feel their presence at all. And that was the reason Robert and I didn't recognize each other.

After that little incident in the coffee house, Zach dragged Ally and me back to the apartment while Ian dragged Clark to his house. There was so much going in my mind- a myriad of thoughts swirling that I didn't protest to leave Clark. But when I figured everything out, I couldn't stand staying in the blasted apartment. I wanted to go back to Clark. I just couldn't stand living in a cheater's apartment, regardless of what relations I shared with that cheater.

"Where do you think you're going?" I heard Zach's interrupting voice from behind me when I twisted the doorknob.

"I'm going back to my friends," I replied flatly and Ally and he grabbed my arm hastily.

"They're not your friends, they're bad company," he said staunchly and I rolled my eyes.

"You two are the ones who cheated on him. Poor Brownie still thought that Ally was kidnapped or missing and that she did not run away with another boy! Now excuse me you two, I'm an adult. I'm capable of---"

"You're not going anywhere especially to him and that's final. You don't know what he has done to us."

"Oh really, Zach? Then enlighten me, tell me what he did to you both. Tell me," I demanded and Zach's mouth opened and closed like a fish, but no words came out. Ally gawked at me and I crossed my arms. "You both are the ones responsible for what happened to Brownie. It was because of you two he was sad! It was because of you two he barely smiled or talked or laughed . . . It's all because of you both!"

I was yelling at them as I tried to shove them away to walk out of that bloody apartment. Zach shut the door and threatened, "I'll tell dad if you go back to that bastard."

"Don't you dare call him names, you are the cheating asshole!" I snapped and looked at Ally who was crying softly by now. "And you too Ally. I always looked up to you, but you are a cheating bitch! Why did you run away with Zach? Why?"

"I . . . I don't know. I-I was in love with Clark, but he used to work so hard those days. He was barely around, although he tried to do whatever he could to keep me happy. And I was until your brother came along," Ally explained and Zach frowned.

"What do you mean by that?" he asked obviously feeling butthurt.

"Oh no, not in that way. Your brother was around me all the time and again I fell in love, but this time with your brother. I-I just couldn't help it."

"You fall in love really quick, don't you? And couldn't help what, bitch? Couldn't help having two boys wrapped around your finger or couldn't help cheating? Whatever you did was wrong and the consequences were much worse! You could have at least confronted Brownie later so he could have moved on! He deserves so much better, he deserves to be happy," I said fervently in a shaky voice and was surprised to feel a lump form in my throat.

Suddenly, my phone rang cutting the awkward silence and melancholy. The call was from Ian, but I didn't want to pick up. Ian knew this all along, he knew that Ally was having an affair with my brother Zach. I vaguely remember Ian at my mum's funeral, it was like he was arguing with Ally and Zach. At that time I didn't pay much heed, thinking that it was nothing serious. But now all pieces fit perfectly. The sweet Ian was keeping little secrets from me and I was so mad at him.

The phone continued ringing and I took a sharp breath. I slowly picked it up, feeling vexed. "What do you want?"

"Listen, George---"

"No, I don't want to listen to you. This situation could have been avoided if only you would have told me the truth. I can't with this, I honestly can't. You-You knew. I'm sorry, I don't want to talk. Bye---"

"No, wait!" he quickly intervened before I could hang up and Zach's eyebrows rose at me in question.

"Ian, I'm sorry. If I talk to you guys, my brother will tell dad and I don't want to trouble him. Besides, I have no reason to talk to you. You have done enough---"

"George, you have to come here. Clark . . . He . . . "

"Hello? Brownie what? What-what happened to him? What is going on? Is he okay?"

"No," Ian said abruptly, his voice sounding anxious. "He . . . He's in the hospital."