9

The next day John woke up earlier. He made sure to wake up on time so they wouldn't miss any clients. John walked slowly up the stairs to his room, and got showered and changed. He made sure he was careful with his stitches since they were sore from being restitched. 

He got dressed and limped back down to the living room, sitting in his usual chair. He heard someone run up the stairs and saw Sherlock open the door and enter. 

"Where were you?" John asked casually. Usually Sherlock was still in the living room when he woke up.

"I brought breakfast." Sherlock held up the plastic bag.

He handed John his Styrofoam box of food, and he sat down across from his with his food.

Sherlock had ordered French toast and bacon while John had toast, eggs, bacon, and a crepe. The amount of toast to the rest of the breakfast food were disproportionate since John's favorite part of breakfast was the toast.

"Wait a minute." Sherlock said. He got back up and looked through the fridge.

He came back and placed a knife next to a jar of spread. John picked it up and read the label.

"You got me apricot marmalade? Thank you, Sherlock." John thanked him. Sherlock nodded and continued to eat his food.

John gladly enjoyed the marmalade and toast, and finished the rest of his food. Sherlock finished off their morning by drinking tea with John. Sherlock had already drank his 4 cups of coffee, so he wasn't in need of anymore caffeine. 

As soon as they were done, they started getting clients. They assessed them as usual and Sherlock would assess and dismiss. All the while John wrote down the information. 

At around 3, Sherlock got a text from Lestrade while one woman was explaining how her dog killed their mailman.

"Sorry to stop you, but your case is utterly boring and I've got a murder to attend to. Please show yourself out." Sherlock interrupted her.

John gave the girl a sympathetic look but pointed to the door. Once she was gone, John got up and headed to the door.

"John, you're staying here. You're still limping." Sherlock told him.

"The hell I am. My limp hadn't gotten in my way before, and it's not going to now. Let's go." John motioned. John slowly walked down the stairs, but by the time he got down, Sherlock was already in his coat waiting.

John grabbed his coat and hailed a cabby. They were driven to the flat, and dropped off.

Police tape sectioned off the area around the flat and police cars were around the area. Sherlock sighed when he saw Anderson approach them.

"Long time no see. I thought you were dead." Anderson greeted.

"Weird. I was thinking the same thing." Sherlock commented before passing by him. John followed him slowly, and they walked into the apartment complex. Lestrade was there waiting for him.

"I see you're back John. I'm sorry about Halloween. I didn't know what was going to happen." Lestrade apologized.

"It's alright. You had no control over what happened. But do tell us what happened." John told him.

Lestrade started walking up the steep stairs. It was obvious that the place was a little older. "The murder is on the third floor. You'll have to stay down here since the steps are tricky." Lestrade told them.

"No need. I can walk up the stairs." John told him. He started to walk behind Sherlock, but soon got behind. As he walked, his leg hurt more. He had to stretch his leg more for the steps, and it pulled at his stitches.