The Reaping

The Hunger Games are horrible. There is no other way to describe them.  Putting children, literal CHILDREN in a battle to the death is just inhumane.  But, around here, saying that would get me killed.  Well, maybe not killed, but at least in serious trouble.  I'm Taylor Byrd from district four.  I know what your thinking. "Oh, you're a career, you're supposed to love the games!"  But I don't.  Deal with it. I've made it through three reapings, and I plan on making it through three more. But if I am chosen, someone will volunteer. We have at least one a year, and half the time peacekeepers break up fights between people trying to volunteer.  But still, I can't sleep. I feel like tomorrow will be different somehow, but I'm not sure why.  I eventually fall into a restless sleep.  I wake up the next morning nervous as ever. I take a bath and get into my reaping clothes, a dark blue dress and plain black shoes.  We head to the town square to wait. Eventually our district's mayor comes on and introduces the lady from the capitol, a lady named Crystal June. Clearly inspired by her name, She wears a dress that shines like, well, a crystal.  She begins with the girls.  She digs around for a few seconds before selecting a card. "Taylor Byrd" she calls.  No, nonono. I think.  Why is no one volunteering? I slowly make my way to the stage, trying not to cry, as it would do me no good. I get to the stage and stand there, stunned. She acknowledges me before moving on to the boys.  She digs around before calling out, "Chase Wells". I vaguely remember him from school, we're the same age, but we were never exactly friends.  But that doesn't matter now, I'm going to die in the Hunger Games.  I'm ushered into a room in the justice center where I sit, waiting. Eventually some people from my district stop by to say goodbye.  One of them gives me a bracelet with a small fish charm on it, to be my token from my district.  I don't have any family, so after them I am alone.  Peacekeepers march me to a train at the edge of town.  I board, and as soon as I'm shown to my room I lay on the bed and go to sleep, exhausted from everything.