What the Sun Sees

Chapter 11

Fon had fit right in with the chaos that was the Sawada Household, much to Tsuyuki's consternation. The martial artist had taken to helping Nana with the cooking and resuming his teachings with I-pin whenever he was free. Tsuyuki found that she was quickly beginning to hate the not-baby's presence.

Regularly, at random moments in time, Tsuyuki would be accosted by Fon's wandering Flames. It constantly rubbed against her as if it were sizing her up, always hovering over her but not as oppressive as Reborn's. For what she was being judged for, she didn't know, but Tsuyuki was getting tired of it. It didn't help that Reborn was reverting back to his suffocating ways whenever the Storm Arcobaleno was near.

Often times she would find the two babies competing in a stare down with each other, Reborn with his mocking smirks and Fon with his genial smiles that leaned towards sly. Said looks would belie the raging auras clashing into one another in a fight for dominance. The swirling reds and yellows were honestly giving her a headache.

So, in true Tsuyuki fashion, she began avoiding them like the plague. Unfortunately, that didn't last very long because Fon decided that he wanted to start teaching her whatever he wished, as per their agreement. To her surprise, Fon didn't teach her any skills in combat as she had expected. Instead, he turned their lessons into impromptu therapy sessions that Tsuyuki could really do without.

~.~.~

"So you would deliberately hurt anyone who harms your brother, even if it was your mother?" Fon asked gently, his voice void of any judgement. Tsuyuki sniffed, "She would not be our mother if she did so."

"How about others?" Fon questioned. Tsuyuki's eyes darkened, "I wouldn't kill them. I'd make them feel so much pain that they'd wish they were dead. Death would be too merciful for them."

"And what started this feeling of protectiveness towards your brother?"

"He called for me when he drew his first breath. I simply answered." Tsuyuki said simply.

Fon blinked slowly, "You were born just minutes before him."

"And?"

"... I see."

~.~.~

Before Tsuyuki had realized it, months had passed by and Fon had somehow wormed his way into Tsuyuki's extremely small circle. Though she would never admit it, she considered him to be her close confidant just as she saw Reborn as an overbearing guardian with a sadistic streak a mile wide.

Speaking of the not-babies, it seemed that the two had finally resolved whatever was going on between them. Their auras, which had often clashed together in a battle of wills, now melded seamlessly into each other as if they had finally managed to get on the same wavelength after years of discordant frequencies. They got on well enough, sometimes too well in Tsuyuki's opinion.

The two had tag-teamed her into engaging in human interactions outside of what was now considered the Sawada Family. While reluctant at first, Tsuyuki had learned to tolerate the incessant gossiping of her female classmates and the rowdiness of the males without intimidating them into silence. Just recently, she had managed to have an almost candid conversation with her squad members. Of course, it was about the disciplining methods used to beat students into submission, but it was progress.

Tsuna, on the other hand, grew exponentially during his time under Reborn's tutelage. While the hitman's methods were aggressively spartan to a fault, it got the job done. Gone were the days where Tsuna would stumble over his words in anxiety and trip on air in his random bouts of clumsiness. Tsuna's self-esteem had been one of the first things to be improved on and now the boy walked with a surety in his steps and a cloak of confidence on his shoulders.