A Twin for You and Me

Chapter 2

Ba-bump. Ba-bump. Ba-bump. Ba-bump.

Everything was black. It was suffocating. The only sound I heard was a hypnotic beat. A heartbeat. I tried looking around but realized that I couldn't move let alone see what I'm doing. I started to panic. What if something went wrong and I got stuck here instead? Will I stay here forever?!

Ba-bump. Ba-bump. Ba-bump.

As if sensing my stress and hysteria, something reached out and touched me. I still couldn't see so I didn't know what was reaching out to me. Even so, I hesitantly relaxed, not sensing any danger. Slowly, a warmth crept around me. For the first time since Leo left, I felt safe.

~~~~~

Ba-bump. Ba-bump. Ba-bump. Ba-bump. Ba-bump.

I had been stuck in this place for who knows how long. My only company was that warmth and the hypnotic beat, comforting my loneliness. It also gave me time to process things in my mind. The darkness was maddening and I was scared that I would go insane, but at the same time... it was calming. It was peaceful. Something I've never actually experienced before.

~~~~~

Ba-bump. Ba-bump Ba-bump. Ba-bump Ba-bump. Ba-bump. Ba-bump.

The thrum of the heart was soothing. It was like a soft lullaby, calming and peaceful. The constant warm presence made me feel comforted, protecting me like a barrier against the outside world. I knew that even if I couldn't see anything, even if I never left this place to go to where Leo wanted me to be... I would be fine with it. I've come to think of this void as my own safe haven.

~~~~~

Ba-bump. Ba-bump.

It's been so long since I've seen anything but black. Probably a year has passed. I had tried calling out to the warmth, but it never answered back. I continued to call out to it in hopes of being answered. It never did, but that's fine with me. The fact that the warm presence was still with me this entire time was good enough. I was content with what I had.

Ba-bump...

~~~~~

One day (did days even count here?), an bright orange flame bursted into life, lighting up the black abyss around me. I stared at it in shock as it hovered not too far away. It felt so familiar. Heartwarming. Thinking that I was hallucinating, I pinched myself but it was still there.

Realizing that it was real, I subconsciously reached out for it, like a moth drawn to a flame. Then... the oddest thing happened. Before I could touch it, another flame appeared right in front of me. However, this flame was icy blue. The blue became a lighter shade as it got towards the center and there were small crystal-like particles floating in the middle. Each crystal had a different color of the rainbow and it was extremely intriguing.

Before I had the chance to mindlessly touch it, the flame moved towards a white light I never noticed. Before I knew what was happening, I was pulled towards the white light too. I tried reaching for the orange flame but I was already halfway through the light. I tried to scream, shout, and struggle away from whatever held me, but the grip was strong.

It was like something tightly wrapped around my stomach was dragging my body towards the small opening the white light made. I cried out when it tried to pull me through. I was too big to fit through such a small opening. I tried pushing away, but it was relentless and harshly tugged me through. Pain overwhelmed me as my body was forced through something it could not fit into.

The walls around me tightened every second and I screamed even louder as it felt like my body was going to be crushed. I couldn't do anything as I was slowly constricted, my arms and legs felt like lead and my throat had gone sore from my screaming. And then I was tugged at again. Whatever held onto me pulled harder that it ever had and I was suddenly yanked out from the small space that almost killed me.