Messages In a Bottle: Chapter 1

You drove this mysterious man back to your apartment in downtown London. You figured he seemed nice, and he had nowhere else to go, so why not?

It was getting late, so you threw the man a spare blanket and pillow and told him he could sleep on the couch that night. As you left to get some sleep yourself, you heard him calling after you in a sleepy voice. "Thanks [Name]. Thanks for helping me out." 

You drifted off to your bedroom and quickly fell asleep. You didn't even bother to undress.

The next morning you woke up at your usual time and got ready for the day. When you walked into your living room, the depression on the couch reminded you of something very important. The man you rescued and took in was gone! 

You felt a light hand on your shoulder and you jumped around. It was the man you saved, and he was holding a cup of tea in his hand, there was another cup resting on your kitchen table. "If you didn't want tea, you could of just said so." He said brusquely.

You scowled slightly but then broke into a smile. "Thanks for the tea." You said.

"No problem," The man responded, "Apparently I'm really good at making tea, and it helps that you have a nice selection to choose from. I also made some scones." The man said excitedly. He held out a plate of scones for you. At least he's remembering something. You thought. 

You picked up a scone and took a bite. It was horrible! You forced yourself not to make a face and swallowed it. You put the rest on the plate, lieing that you weren't hungry. The tea, on the other hand, was very good. You sipped at your tea as you strolled out onto your terrace. The man followed you, his own cup of tea in hand. You both stood admiring the gray city scenery.

"This reminds me of home, I think..." The man said. "I think...I think... I live in England." He said quietly, very deep in thought.

"So you are English?" You asked.

The man nodded his head. "Yeah...Yeah, that sounds right." He pauses. "I loved being by the sea, swimming, sailing, anything that included water. I loved gray days and tea too. I wish I could remember more..." He drifts off into thought again.

"Well, you can still love those things." You say, very resolute. "I'll help you remember, I'm true to my word." He gives you a brief, grateful smile.

"You know why I could tell you were English?" You ask. "It's that cute accent of yours." You answer yourself.

"Wait, what? What did you just say?" The man asks you. "Because I think I heard you call me cute, and I'm definitely not cute!" 

"Yup, definitely English." You mutter to yourself. The man calms down quickly though, and returns to staring at the city skyline. A thought suddenly pops into your head. "You know, I don't know your name yet, and since you don't know, I'll have to give you one." You pause to think of a suitable name for him for the time being. "Oh I know! I'll call you Green-Eyes for a while, because you have such nice eyes." You obviously were not very creative with nicknames. He sweat dropped, but reluctantly went along with it. After all, you were providing him housing at the moment. 

"You know what else you need," You continue with excitement, "You need some new clothes. All you have are those rags. And you need to clean up too." The man glances down at his clothes, they're patched and worn, and his shoes must once have been black and had soles. "Yeah, I guess you're right." He agrees grudginly. "Great~!" You sat exuberantly. You hurridly finish your breakfast and treat him to a haircut and outfit shopping.

Author: I'll keep writing this, it's turning out to be really fun. And this all started from a writing assignment my English teacher gave me, who would have guessed.