Pool Day

Rated: T for Theft!! Don't do it kids!!

Pairing: two guys but it's not THAT romantic

Based off of: I saw this really good post about how it's better to just keep making bad things than to try really really hard to make one good thing and I was like, wow!! It's just like writing!! I'm gonna write right now!! And so I did

Other notes: Seriously follow the law

~~~~~~~~~~

I guess you could say I'd miscalculated.

I had intended to spend the morning in my neighbor's pool, petting their dog (Lacey) and maybe eating peanut butter directly from the jar, just for a little extra fun. But instead, on this lovely, sunny day, I was sitting at the police station.

I'm very accustomed to doing things the illegal way. I'm very good at not getting caught, the most part. I make a plan to do something very harmless (but very beneficial for me), I do surveillance, and I execute the plan. I've done it over and over, ever since I was a kid. I never had nice shit like other kids at school, so I came up with little ways to bring myself some justice.

At first, I was shitty at it. I got caught all the time. I was the biggest little troublemaker! I landed in time out more times than I could count. But as I got older, I started to keep a clean record. On paper, at least. The reality was that I was getting better and better at committing crimes.

This business got much more fun in high school, when my ease with shoplifting and getting alcohol as a 16 year old suddenly made me cool. In the old days, I always felt a sense of guilt and shame after doing something bad. I would hide the toys I took, get a pang of dread when my poor overworked mother asked where I'd gotten my nice new box of crayons, and grow uncomfortable when I trespassed as a way to destress.

But in high school? I was the life of the fucking party. Breaking the law was no longer something I did out of necessity to pretend I didn't live in poverty. It wasn't a rare occasion that I always regretted afterwards. It was at least once a week.

My grades were shit, but it didn't matter. My mom certainly didn't give a damn; She was just trying to pay the bills. And I would never have the money for college in the first place. So my thinking at the time turned to partying, all day and all night.

I hung out with the worst of the worst kind of kids. I never felt safe around any of them, but I'll be damned if they didn't know how to have a good time. It got to the point where I carried a knife with me everywhere, and I had my mom's friend (who owed her a favor) teach me self defense. I did end up having to use it a few times. And no matter how much alcohol I stole for that crowd, I never drank a drop.

As I got older, things got worse. I found myself tied up in all kinds of awful vendettas. He owed drugs to him, she was his girlfriend so she shared the grudge, the two got in a knife fight out back, suddenly I'm involved because I provided him with the drugs that he gave to the other guy. In other case, my "friend" tried to make me betray another friend by planting something in her car to give him reason to break up with her because he suspected she was cheating. And in even another instance, a much more serious one, a guy tried to rat me out to the fuzz for selling him drugs when they were found in his locker. I managed to stay clean due to my "spotless" record and no one else being a fucking snitch, but that's when I realized that I had gotten in way over my head.

The day after graduation, I split town. The worst part was telling my mom. But I swore I'd call her every week, and text her constantly, and I'd get a job and send home money. Those were promises I knew I was going to keep instead of running and lying for the first time in my life.