Chapter Fourteen

"What's comin' will come, and we'll meet it when it does."

(Vis POV)

It hasn't been long before the Captain calls a meeting in the conference room. Everyone is here. Natasha spins her batons absentmindedly. Stark leans back with his feet up on the table. Wanda sits with her short skirt brushing her bandaged leg. I watch King T'challa's vibranium claws tap rhythmically on the glass table, and we wait in silence for a moment until the young Spiderman walks in late, apologizing profusely.

Stark pats him on the back and tells him to shut up, kid.

The Captain smiles slightly, then turns serious. "We spoke to the kidnapper, Mason Wymer," he says.

Wanda shifts in her chair, looking down.

"He says he works for Thanos."

Stark looks up. "Thanos? The purple guy? All powerful and all that crap?"

"Yeah, that guy. But I doubt Wymer's actually connected to Thanos. I think Wymer worships him."

Rhodes shakes his head. "That dude is crazy."

My sentiments exactly.

"Wymer says he's part of an army. They're planning an attack," says the Captain, leaning forward at the head of the table. 

"Woah," whispers the Spiderman.

"Are they dangerous?" asks Wanda.

"We aren't sure. But we need to be prepared."

"I'll sleep with my wings on," quips Wilson.

Wanda looks down, smiling slightly. For a moment I imagine her with her own black feathered wings folded on her shoulders, and despite the circumstances, I smile too.

"That wouldn't be such a bad idea," says King T'challa. 

Stark nods. "Well, I'll set a guard of agents around the building, in the halls and by the doors and stuff."

I nod. It is a good idea.

The Captain dismisses us. The creak of chairs and the thump of booted steps is almost the only sound as we file out, full of thoughts.

 I walk with Wanda back to her room. Though slow, she can walk alone now, without a hint of magic to help her. But she takes my hand anyway. Her callused fingers, nails painted black, interlock with my smooth scarlet ones.

We do not say a word, but we walk perhaps slower than we should. When we reach her door, which I know better than my own, I do not let go of her hand. 

"Vis," she says, almost scolding, and squeezes my hand. She pauses for a moment. Then she smiles and stands on her toes, blushing, to kiss me quickly.

When the door closes, my smile does not fade. I smooth my fingers where tiny imprints are left from her copper rings. And despite the looming threat of attack, all I can think is that she is beautiful.

A/N  only a few parts left!! (I promise they're longer) So here are five clues for the final battle chapters:

1. There's a broken window

2. Once upon a dream...

3. Idiot selfless android

4. Dang it the Avengers really need to hurry up

5. There's a rooftop with a very nice view