Chapter Twelve: Still Dreaming

As soon as James arrived Ellie home that night, he asked if she was okay, in which she managed to force a yeah. She gave him her number, and said she would see him tomorrow. Ellie was exhausted. She walked up stairs to her bedroom, and heard her mom on the phone, arguing. Ellie figured it was with her dad, and her mom came into her room, asking her how the movie was. Ellie didn't want to let her mom know had happened with Calum, because her mom was already stressed enough. She told her mom the movie was really good and she wished she would of stayed. Ellie looked at her phone, missed calls, and messages from Calum, Shelby, and Nai. She didn't want to deal with anything right now, or explain. She got into the shower, getting ready to go to sleep. When she got out, she took the sheets and the blankets off her bed, the ones that her and Calum had used, and put on her extra set from her closet. She didn't want to be reminded of anything.

 Ellie slipped on a t shirt, and crawled into her bed. Just then, she heard little pecks at her window, first softly, then a bit harder. Ellie jumped up, and looked down. Her first thought was Calum or James, maybe, but no, it was Evan. Ellie slid her window gently open, and whispered, "Evan?" in a confused tone, "what are you doing?" "Hey, El," he whispered back, "sorry, I tried to call you but you wouldn't answer," he stepped back. She grabbed her phone and scrolled through, he was right, he did try to call her, three times. "Sorry," Ellie said, "It's been a rough day," Ellie said. "Yeah, I heard," Evan said, while kicking around a pebble with his shoe, "I just wanted to see if you were okay." "Hold on one second," Ellie said, while closing her window. She threw on some pants, and crept down the stairs, her mom had fell asleep on the couch while watching the Lifetime network. Ellie tip toed lightly to the back door, and walked around to where Evan was standing underneath her upstairs window. "Hey," she said slowly while walking towards him. Evan was wearing a light blue shirt and jeans, and looked like he hadn't slept in days. "Hey," Evan said back, while smiling. "Are you alright?" he questioned, while looking at her with pity. "Yeah, i'm okay. How did you hear about it?" Ellie already knew, most likely because they lived in a small town, and everything and anything that happened in a small town got around in five minutes or less. Evan laughed, "i'm sure you already know how," he said, while finally taking his stare off of her and looking down at the ground. "What are you going to do about you and Alexa," Ellie blurted out, even though she was nervous to hear the answer. Evan let out a long sigh, "It's not mine. She's two months, we've only been together for a few weeks," he lowered his his head, "but I care for her you know?" Ellie smiled, "yeah I know." "I care for you too," Evan said,  looking up and staring right at her. Ellie looked away, she didn't want to do this was Evan, not now, "and I know a small part of you hates me, but I know another part of you loves me, El," he stood closer to her, still staring strongly at her face, "and i'll always love you, no matter how much you push me away." "Evan," Ellie said, "things aren't good between me and Calum right now, but i'm with him, and I don't want to hurt him," she backed away, "i'm sorry Evan," Ellie managed to get out, while her voice was shaking.

 Tears started to form, and Ellie turned around towards the door. Evan quickly walked behind her, and grabbed her arm, "Ellie, please?," he said, practically begging. Just then, Ellie heard a car start up, and the wheels squeal out, a few feet from her house. It was dark, but she saw as it sped by, it was Calum. Evan looked down, and Ellie yelled out Calums name, but the car just kept going. "Shit," Ellie said out loud, "this is why I can't do this with you Evan, I can't," Ellie said loudly while standing in the street, running her hands through her hair "it's either friends or nothing, and I don't even know if we could manage friends."

She had a knot in her throat, and knew she had to call Calum, and try to fix this. Evan just stood there, without saying a word, and climbed into his truck and left. Ellie wanted to apologize, but she coudn't worry about him right now, she had to focus on making sure Calum wasn't freaking out, just like she had done earlier. Ellie walked upstairs to her phone, and dialed his number, no answer. She sent him a text, back spacing, not really knowing what to say.