Chapter Sixteen: You're Not the One

The room grew quiet, and Ellie just looked at Michael. Everything was silent, till Calum stood up, and walked towards Michael. "Can you come outside for a minute with me?" he asked, in a annoyed tone. Michael smirked, "sure," while he stood up and looked at Ellie.

Ellie gulped, she didn't know what was going to happen, but she was nervous. Everything was perfect between her and Calum for the past few weeks, and if Michael told Calum what he saw, she knew it was going to be messed up again.

Ellie walked to the kitchen to get another beer. She passed by the back door, and heard Michael yelling. Ellie started to get worried. She peaked outside of the kitchen window at Calum and Michael, and saw Calum standing in front of Michael. She couldn't hear exactly what they were saying, just only bits and pieces.

She heard Michael telling him that he needed to keep his guard up, then Calum fell silent. A few seconds later Ellie opened the cupboard underneath the sink, so she could stand closer to the window to try and hear better.  Ellie heard Calum tell Michael, "but I love her," and as soon as she did she heard a laugh behind her. She fell back, and hit the floor. "You alright there?" Ashton said, while leaning down to help her. "Yeah, um, I was just trying to get another drink," Ellie smiled. "Yeah, cause the drinks are in the window," said Ashton, while still laughing. "Look, El, we all know Calum cares about alot you. Don't worry about him and Mike, they do that a lot," he said, while grabbing two beers out of the fridge. "Thank you," she said, while taking one of the beers he handed to her. As soon as she opened it, Calum came back inside. "El," he said, surprised. "She was just telling me a story," Ashton said, while handing Calum a beer, "she fell, I think she may be kind of typsy." Ashton smiled, and walked back into where everyone was sitting.

"You alright?" asked Calum, while inspecting her, looking her over. "Yeah," Ellie said softly. She didn't know why Ashton covered for her, but she was glad he did. "Good," he said softly, while pulling her close to him. She smiled weakly. "Calum," Ellie said, while he started to kiss her neck, "what," he replied, while his soft lips pecked at her neck. "Can we go outside, and talk?" Calum stopped. "Yeah, of course, what's wrong?" "Nothing, it's just, I think we should talk."

Michael walked in, while slamming the door behind him. "Oh get a room," he said, while opening the fridge door to get a beer. "Michael," Calum started, "stop." Michael looked at him, and then looked at Ellie. "What is your problem, Michael," Calum started. Michael opened his beer, and sipped it, while looking at Ellie. She knew she had to tell Calum soon, or Michael would end up doing it, making the situation messier than it already was.

She took Calums hand, and led him outside. It started to drizzle a bit, then stopped. They walked to the swinging bench they had sat at the first night they met. "Calum," Ellie let out, with a bit of a chatter, as the wind blew and it began to grow cold. "Here," Calum took off his jacket, and wrapped it around her. "No, take your jacket, i'm okay," she said, while letting the jacket fall off of her shoulders. "El, what's wrong?" Calum said, as his hand traced around on her back. Ellie looked down, and let out a short sigh. Her heart began to race as she thought about telling Calum, knowing everything could be ruined. "Ellie," he sat up, leaning on to her, "you can tell me anything, you know that," he said, while grasping his hands together, trying to warm them.

"Calum," Ellie started, she looked over at him, and looked away. She didn't want to hurt him anymore than she already had. "Calum, just know that I love you," she paused. He smiled, the smile where his eyes went crinkly along with his nose, "I know," he said warmly. "and this is really hard for me to say," she began to shake again. She started to see her breath when she talked, in the cold crisp October air. "Evan," she started, and Calum let out a laugh. "Is that is this who this is about? Look El, I know what happened in the past, between him and I, but it's okay now," he grabbed her hand, "it's all okay now. I even," he pulled his phone out of his jacket, swiping it to look at the messages, "I even invited him over here to come hang with us. He should be here in a bit."