Chapter 3: Catfight

The day flew by so quickly. I didn't even realize that last period has finally ended until I felt a light tap on my shoulder.

"Stella? Let's go," Bryce told me as he grabbed my arm and led me out of History class.

We were walking when I suddenly heard a high-pitched shriek.

"Watch where you're going, geek!" I looked up and saw Nina Miller glare at me.

I looked at her and saw that the coffee she was holding,already half-empty. My eyes drifted to her dress. There was a huge coffee stain.

Uh-oh.

"Um...I'm sorry, Nina," I mumbled,clearly ashamed for what I did.

"You spilled coffee on my new Prada dress! Watch your back,you'll be sorry you messed with me," she smirked at me.

We quickly walked away and ignored the curious stares and whispers we were getting from everyone. It's not like she can do anything to provoke me, right? That would be way to far considering that it was just an accident. I checked my phone for the time.

4:00

Since my shift didn't start until 4:30, we met up with Candice and sat for a while at the café I work in right across the street.

Café Belles Lettres was extremely famous here in Los Angeles. Aside from its sophisticated dining, it also had quite a reputation back in the old days. Getting a job here is really such an honor. The place is so beautiful, and I also get well-payed.

We said our farewells as I get up to start my shift. I quickly put on my waitress uniform, the French maid type. I spotted Nina and her group of friends laughing along and went there to take their order.

"Good afternoon. Welcome to Café Belles Lettres, may I take your order?" I said politely.

"Uh...I'll be having the creme brûlée, Savannah here will be having the raspberry smoothie, and Caroline will be having a strawberry gelato," Nina waved her hand as she gave me their orders.

I rushed to the kitchen and dictated the order. After a while, I hear the chime of the kitchen bell and get the tray of food.

I headed to the table swiftly yet gracefully. In a swoosh, I find myself knocked down on the floor by Nina's foot.

"Oh,how clumsy of me. I'm so sorry," she said sweetly while her group of friends giggled and took pictures of me.

I was so sure that in just a few seconds, my pictures would be all over the net.

Just great.

I was covered in mixtures of colors from the food, all sticky and messed up. My leg was bleeding due to the bad hit from the plate.

I simply got up and cleaned up the mess I made. I have to show them that they can't get to me. I walked away, strong-willed, and put a show of confidence. On my way to the kitchen, the manager saw me.

"Miss Porter, look at the damage you've done! Do you know how much this will cost? You're fired!" he screamed at me.

I changed back to my pink knitted sweater and jeans and gave him back my uniform. As I went out of the café, I could already feel the repressed tears streaming down my cheeks.

I needed that job! How are we supposed to get money now? There were a lot of other things to worry about, aside from food, shelter, and education. We can't pay our bills with me losing my job.

I went in the house and saw my mom cooking. She turned around and her face immediately wore a shell-shocked and worried countenance.

"Stella, are you okay? Why are you home so early and dirty?" she asked me with a scrunched-up expression.

"Mom, I'm so sorry. I lost my job," I choked while swallowing down tears.

"It's okay, dear. We'll cope up. I can find a housecleaning job," she cooed soothingly.

"It's not okay, Mom! You can't go working alone! It's not healthy for you. This is all my fault," I sobbed, storming out of the kitchen and into my bedroom.

"What did I ever do to deserve this?" I sobbed out.