Chapter 1: Hunter

I know this is random but, I once remember, when I was around 13, my little sister would love it when I'd read her a story book. An old fairy tale we'd found a few years prior being given away. She's always compare me to the stories make lead.

But one part I actually live up to. She said I was 'Nagisa the hunter', well she wasn't wrong. But the proper term for me would be assassin.

She's still young, 12 years old now. It's been a few days since I've seen her. But I'm coming home today, in fact I'm at our front door as we speak.

"Miki~" I knocked on the door lightly.

Running could be heard from the inside of the small house, a child of chaos.

"Nagisa!" she opened the door and nearly tackled me with a hug. "I was afraid you left me!"

"Me, leaving you? You're crazy, Miki." I patted her hair.

"Yeah I am, I get it from you." she giggled.

Miki was still small, around 4'5 I'd say. She hadn't grown much. Her long light blue hair that reached her thighs was oily. Lastly, Miki was wearing a purple shirt and black leggings, not to mention the orange apron she wore. Obviously she was cooking right before I got here.

"You know what else you get from me, your height." I laughed.

She looked up but still kept me in a hug. "Can you please stop teasing me? You're no better. You're 16 and 5'3. Not to mention you keep on abandoning your sister for days on end."

I frowned. She sure knew how to make me feel bad.

"Well, Miki, I have a job to do. If I didn't go to work then we'd be on the streets again. And we don't want that, do we?" I smiled sweetly.

"No... I don't want to go back on the streets. All we had back then was our book and an ally." she hugged me tightly. "But I don't like to be alone..."

"I know." I patted her head lightly.

Another thing about Miki, she doesn't know what I do for a job. And that's saying I've worked as an assassin since I was 14.

"Miki, let's go back inside. I wanna eat."

She looked up and grinned. "Oh good! I made us food!" Miki dragged me inside.

On the table, there were two white plates with curry. It looked delicious.

I sat down. Right in front of me sat Miki. We ate and sat there for a while.

"Nagisa. I wanna ask you something." Miki looked serious for a change. "It's March, and..." she took a deep breath and looked me straight in the eyes. " I wanna go to school. It's gonna be April and it's not too late to enroll me... And you can still go to High-school."

I looked at her with disbelief. "Miki, aren't you fine with all the education I've given you. I've homeschooled you since the appropriate age, heck, your above average in almost everythi-"

"Nagisa. It not just about the education." she meekly interrupted. "It's about me wanting to have a normal childhood now that we're back on our feet. I wanna learn how to cope with other kids my age, I wanna know what it's like to have friends." she looked down.

"..." I didn't say anything. She was right.

Miki never had the chance to make friends, she's barely even left the house ever since we started living here.

Not once has she talked to the kids around the block because I never let her... Was I an over protective brother?

"Are you really, really, really, certainly, absolutely sure you wanna go to school?"

She nodded crazily.

I sighed. "I guess we cou-"

"Thank you!" Miki exclaimed. "Nagisa, you should go too."

What?

"Come on, you could learn how to be a normal teenager. You could have friends, have a proper education, and maybe..." she looked off into space. "Get a girlfriend. Who's like a princess and loves you, just like in the story book."

I froze. Personally, I had never thought about school. I was great at every subject... Exept I wasn't the fastest runner. But I've always kinda had the flexibility card so slipping away wasn't too hard.

"Mm... I'll think about it, now," I pointed towards her room. "To bed with you."

She groaned. "But I'm not tiiiiiirrrrreeeeeed."

"So, you'll have to start sleeping early to get up early for school. Now, to bed."

"Fine. But only of you read me a story."

I looked over to the large bookshelf that went from the side if the TV, almost to the screen door behind my seat. "Which one."

She put a finger to her chin and walked over to the large shelf. Pulling out a worn out one I knew which one it was. "This one."

"Okay then, with the Prince and the Princess of course, Cinnamon Roll." I laughed lightly. "Now go get changed and tell me when you're done so I can read to you."

She giggled and ran off with the book in her hands. I smiled until she closed her door. Then I slammed me head on the table.

"That girl." I got up and picked up the plates.

Taking them to the dish washer and starting it up I was began to get lost in thought.

Why does she love that story so much? I'm not saying I don't like it. But, Happily Ever Afters don't exist.

Then again she is just a kid, specifically a sheltered kid, she can't handle the truth. Especially the one I'm hiding. It would crush her innocence and she'd hate me.

She'd hate me because I had lied to her

She'd hate me for telling her the truth in general.

But out of all the other ones and those two, she'd look at me with a horrifide face if she knew I killed.

—-

First posted: Sometime in Early Summer, 2017
Edited on: December 8, 2020