XXII

I stomp down the stairs, just feeling all-round excited for the day. I woke up before Vic for a change and I finally noticed how cute he is when he sleeps.

I go into the dining room and find Papa at the table with a machine and a bunch of fruit.

"Hey Kell, Viv's not feeling well today so I'm just going to make smoothies for breakfast. Is that okay?" Papa asks and I nod excitingly. I've never had smoothies before but I'm sure they'll be great.

I take a seat and watch Papa curiously as he puts fruits into the machine.

"Kellin, can I ask you something?" Papa questions and I nod. "Do you like boys?"

I swallow hard and look down at my hands.

"How did you know?" I whisper.

"It was a guess." he smiles kindly. "So do you like Vic?"

My heart stops. If Papa finds out that Vic likes boys then Vic will hate me.

"A little." I admit. "But Vic likes girls. Vic has a girlfriend."

Papa looks shocked.

"Really?" he asks and I nod, mentally face-palming. This is going to come back and bite me on the ass.

"I uh, I'm going to shower." I stammer, getting up and rushing out of the room.

I run back upstairs, down to Vic and I's room where Vic is still sleeping. I climb back into bed next to him and start crying.

"Kell, what happened?" Vic croaks out, waking up.

"I'm sorry. I made a mistake." I cry as he starts rubbing my back.

"What happened, baby?" he asks.

I bury my tear covered face into his shirt.

"I didn't mean it. It just slipped out." I sob.

"Kells, what did you do?" he asks.

"I told Papa you have a girlfriend." I whimper.

"You what? Why?" he groans.

"He asked me if I liked you and I didn't want him to know that you like me. I panicked. I'm sorry." I cry.

Vic chuckles and kisses my head, confusing me.

"Quick thinking. It's fine, baby. We'll work something out." he says reassuringly.

"It is?" I sniff and he nods.

"My problems aren't your burden to bear. Don't worry about it, hun." he says softly and I nod.

He kisses me softly and nudges me.

"Go shower." he tells me and I nod, getting up, feeling a lot better.

I get some clothes then go down to the bathroom and shower. When I'm dressed and ready, I head down to Mama and Papa's room. I find Mama reading a book with a cup of tea in her hands. She's also surrounded by tissues.

"Mama," I say softly to get her attention.

"Hey Kell." she smiles.

"Are you sick?" I ask and she nods.

"Unfortunately so." she confirms.

"Can I stay home and look after you?" I ask, just wanting her to feel better like she made me feel.

"That's very sweet of you, Honey." she smiles. "But you need to go to school. I'll have Papa here to look after me, don't worry."

"Okay, get better soon." I tell her and she nods with a smile.