XXVIII

"You can't do that!" I hear Vic shout as I walk down the stairs. I don't smell breakfast like I usually would.

"It's for your own safety." I hear Mama say in return.

"I need it. You don't understand." Vic cries.

"You'll get those privileges back once you start being open with us." Papa says.

I stop on the stairs not wanting to interrupt them.

"So privacy and freedom are privileges now?" Vic yells.

"Vic, we love you. We have your best interests in mind." Mama says.

"If you really cared about me, you'd leave me the fuck alone." Vic spits.

I then hear his footsteps coming towards me. He walks up the stairs with his head down.

"Vic, what wrong?" I ask worried.

He doesn't answer though. He just angrily storms past me. I'm worried and saddened but take the hint he doesn't want to talk to me.

I go downstairs and am about to go into the living room but I hear Mama and Papa arguing.

"I think you've gone too far with grounding him." Papa says.

"So now you're telling me how to parent? Because what you've been doing has totally worked out so far. Our son is covered in bruises, Victor!" Mama yells.

"I know, Vivian! But he shouldn't be punished!" Papa shouts back.

"I'm not punishing him because he's getting hurt! I'm punishing him because he keeps lying to us!" Mama screeches.

"Are you going to punish Kellin too?" Papa sneers.

"Don't bring Kellin into this!" Mama argues.

The yelling and fighting is too much so I take the nearest exit which is the front door. It's raining heavily but I don't really care. I wipe the tears from my eyes as I go sit down in the garden on the wet grass.

"Hey Mike," I whisper, looking down stairs the wet plaque.

I wipe some more tears or maybe it's rain. I don't know if I'm still crying but I do know that I feel sad.

"I think Mama and Papa hate me." I mumble. "They're upset that I don't tell them Vic's secrets. I don't want to hurt Vic though and I don't know what to do."

I lay down in the grass, despite being freezing cold. I place a hand over the plague, hoping to be somewhat close to Mike. I feel like he was supposed to be my brother too. I close my eyes and let the rain fall down on my face.

"I think Vic hates me too. Not completely. I know he loves me. But he hates being gay. I know he's wishes he didn't love me. I don't know how to feel about that." I explain, feeling confused. "I wonder if he's ashamed of me."

I let out a small sob at the thought.

"I always knew being gay was wrong," I sniff. "my parents made that obvious. But when I fell in love with Vic, it's like it didn't matter whether it was wrong or right. I loved Vic and that made me feel good. It hurts that Vic doesn't feel the same way. He's ashamed to love me. It makes him feel bad." I mumble.

I curl up next to Mike's plaque, just not wanting to think about it anymore.

"Are you in heaven, Mike?" I sniff. "I think heaven's real. Mother always told me to go to Hell but I think I'm going to heaven. I think she's going to Hell. I know I hurt Vic when I told him to 'go away' but God must know I love him. God must forgive me."