xviii - Kernels of truth

Would I be standing here

                              After all these years

                Dawn picked up the phone to call Richard when she realized there was something else she had to do. She took out a piece of paper from the front desk drawer and took out a pen, moving onto the couch. She leaned the paper on an issue of Cosmo lying around and leaned the paper up against it. As soon as the pen hit the paper, words flowed onto the sheet as tears flowed from her eyes.

               'My darling child,

               To know I was pregnant with you was the best piece of news I have ever recieved. The love your father and I share is amazing, sometimes I believe it's all a dream. You were concieved of pure love and adoration your father and I feel for each other and no matter what happens in life you will be loved by both of us.   I've had a lot of fortune in my life...my career, awards, and lots of blessings but the only thing that matters in all of that is you and your father. I'm writing this the day I found out I was pregnant with you and will continue to add to it, everytime you turn a year older. On your 16th birthday when you're finally at that sweet age, I will give this to you, so you know just how much your mother loves you.'

               Dawn wiped her tears and folded the letter, enclosing it in her desk drawer.

                              Among the stars above

                              Maybe not, if it wasn't for your love

                              ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

               Richard sat in his bedroom flipping through the newest issue of Yes! Magazine. As he turned the pages he saw the newest layout on the awards night and started to skim the article.

                              Smiling faces all around

                              Like when a king that has just been crowned

               He stared at the picture of Dawn and Martin that was on the right side of the page. They both looked so happy...but she was hiding something and Richard knew deep down, Martin was denying what the truth actually was...that his fiancee had fallen hard for her co-star. He was brought out of his daze by the phone ringing. 

               "Hello?" he answered picking the phone up. He got no response, just breathing on the other line. "Hello? Is someone there?" He heard a sob escape from the other side of the line and smiled, his heart melting. "Well if it isn't my darling co star...you okay?" he asked sincerely, leaning up against his pillow just listening to the sound of her breathing. "Hey are you going to talk or are you quitting the show to become a mime?"

               A laugh escaped her lips. "I'm fine," she replied quietly. "I just wanted to hear your voice. There's something in your voice that can just send chills down my spine, something that can soothe me when nothing else can...thank you."

               "For what?"

               "For not leaving me, for sticking with me no matter how stubborn I became, for loving me...I told Martin and we're finished..."