XIII

Dawn sat in her dressing room going over lines when she heard her door open.

"So you got back with Martin? How nice," Richard sneered as he leaned up against her doorway. 

Dawn looked up and rolled her eyes at him, looking back down at her script. "Go away," she muttered. "It's bad enough I have to tape a love scene with you in 15 minutes. Ooh and since we're on the subject of getting back together...I saw you all cozy with Victoria in that little cafe," Dawn said bitterly as put the script down next to her.

"How did you know who she is?"

"John stopped by to see me earlier...you know to catch up on old times considering what a close bond we had in high school," Dawn said sarcastically. "So what is this? You had to send your little buddy over so he could tell me how much I hurt you when I went back with my *fiancé*? Yes, I can see the hurt, I guess hooking up with your old girlfriend really helps."

"First of all you know nothing about my relationship with her..."

"Really?" she interrupted. "You met freshman year of college. Her older brother was your friend and he thought maybe you two would get along great so he set you up. You almost got engaged in college but your mother asked to wait until you knew for sure it was the right time. You both realized no matter how much you loved each other the time wasn't right but stayed together until you decided to come to the city to look for a job and she was set to move abroad to work for her father. So don't tell me, I don't know anything about your relationship with her," Dawn retorted. 

"I'm assuming John told you all that...but does it matter if I am with her? You and Martin are oh so happy."

"Why do we keep going through the same thing. Damn it, just stay out of my life. Not every co-star gets along with each other and as long as we can act on stage, I don't give a damn if we never speak to each other when it comes to anything but the script or this job. I can't believe I ever loved someone who was so self centered, who was too big of a coward to admit he liked a girl because he was worried his popularity would suffer..."

"I'm self centered?" he shot back as he moved to her vanity chair. "You shove men in every direction...you flash that perfect, pearly smile, you twirl your hair which may as well be as blackas the night because it shines like there is no tomorrow, and your eyes...you have to bring men in with those glittering orbs."

"Geez, try to keep what you want under control," she said, smiling slyly. "And I do not shove men in every direction. You have been taking advantage of me ever since this job started..."

"Advantage?" he yelled. "How in God's name have I done that?"

"By everything you say to me! Stop complimenting me, stop calling me, stop telling me you love me and regret we were never together... if that is anyone’s fault it's *yours.* You missed out on the best thing you ever could have had because you cared more about your reputation. In fact, I hate you for that...I really hate you..." she screamed as she felt tears build up. She curled up on the couch, feeling as her curls fell over her face. 

Before Richard could have to chance for rebuttal Vic walked in, knocking lightly on the door.

"Good, I'm glad you're both here...I'm afraid I have some bad news," Vic said as he gripped onto the door handle.

Dawn sat up and glanced at him trying to read his expression. "Vic, what is it? Is everything all right?"

"I'm afraid not. Dawn, Richard...Dianne passed away last night...the doctor said while she was asleep, she went into cardiac arrest. By the time her daughter, Jenn, found her this morning, she was already gone...I'm sorry."

"Nooooo," Dawn screamed as she broke down in tears, feeling as Richard's strong arms held her and she sunk into his embrace, tears streaming down her cheeks.