VI

Dawn sat at her vanity and picked out a glossy silver lipstick from her makeup bag. She brought it up to her lips and dropped it just staring at herself in the mirror. Richard's words earlier came flashing back to her. He seemed to read her like a book. Thinking back to high school she had always wished they'd be that close... even if she never got the chance to date him, she wanted to be his best friend. She had always hoped that maybe one day he'd come to his senses and realize how gorgeous she really was... and when 

he finally did, not only was she involved with someone else, but also as 

close to engagement as she could be. Jane, her best friend, had told her Martin wanted to do it soon... but when 'soon' was, was the big question.

"Dawn, are you ready?" Martin asked as he walked into the room adjusting is tie. "We can't be late at the Premiere," he joked. 

"Oh shush," Dawn laughed. "I'll be ready in about two minutes, my dress is hanging in the bathroom, let me just go put it on." Dawn ran into the bathroom and emerged a few moments later, wearing a long slinky silver dress. Two slits were cut on each side, going midway to her thigh, her hair, pulled half up.

"Dawn, you look..."

"Amazing," she finished kissing him gently. "I know, now let's get the show on the road." She walked out of the bedroom as he ran after her, laughing, thanking God for his amazing Grace.

                                    ****

Richard walked into the ballroom, his eyes scoping out the crowd.

"Richard, why the hell are Angel and I here?" John asked as he walked in next to Richard, his girlfriend on his arm. "It's not like we're on the show or anything and I'm sure, we'd have something better to do than stay here with all these people especially your little high school lover..."

"Shut up," Richard said turning to him. "Dawn is involved, she doesn't like me, and are you still 16? Geez..."

"Ouch," John said looking him up and down. "I see you’ve hit a nerve. Well we're going to go get a drink, do you want anything?"

"No thanks," Richard said as he searched for Dawn. He found her standing on the side of the room laughing with Vic, his gaze getting lost on her form. She looked like an angel to him... the lights reflected off her black shiny hair, her slim figure lost in a sea of silver, her tan legs fighting their way out of the dress. "Earth to me, come in Richard..."

Richard looked back at John, shaking his head to wipe out the memory of Dawn. "What is it?" he asked somewhat quietly, still lost in thoughts of her.

"Nothing, but man, may I say that you sure as hell changed from high school. All of a sudden Dawn is the girl of your dreams, man she has you whipped." John walked off with Angel on his arm as the party continued to blossom.

                                    *****

Richard was sitting at a table sipping a martini when Martin sat down next to him. "Richard, right?" 

"Yeah," he answered shortly as the swirled the olive around the glass.

"So how is it working on a teleserye? My girlfriend is great, isn't she?"

Richard rolled his eyes and popped the olive into his mouth. "Sure, she was back in high school also..."

"I knew the name sounded familiar," Martin replied quietly, realizing just who Richard was. "Dawn's high school love interest. She liked you and you didn't like her because she was an iddy, bitty, was a li’l girl..."

"First of all," Richard said pointing his finger at Martin, "Don't tell me *why* I didn't have interest on Dawn, because you don't have the faintest idea. I don't care if she was a 1st grader if I wasn't in love with someone else, I probably would have had an interest in her. And second of all, don't try to act superior than me... you may think you've won, that you have Dawn, but buddy, I'll tell you now it isn't over until the fat lady sings... or in this case, your girlfriend's attractive co-star!" Richard got up, pushing the chair out of his way, leaving Martin alone and in shock.

                                    *****

"Dawn, I need to talk to you for a second," Martin said as he took her by the arm and led her over to the stage in the ballroom. He took the microphone that was lying on the chair and picked it up, clearing his throat. 

"What? What are you doing?" she asked as all eyes down below looked upon them.

"You'll see," he replied smiling. "Excuse me, everyone can I have your attention. First of all I just want to congratulate the casts for a successful few weeks of taping. My father Ricky, who plays Emil and my girlfriend Dawn, who happens to play his daughter Emily. Now I know some of you don't know me as anything more than Ricky's son or Dawn's boyfriend but I have something very important to say that I wanted to share with all of 

you. From the first time I saw Dawn, I fell in love with her. It was actually a quick passing on the street, then one more time at a coffee shop, and then one more time at the gym, until I finally got the nerves to talk to her. And I just fell for her. In the past five and a half years, she has become my angel so tonight in front of all her co-stars, I have a little announcement to make." Martin took a box out of his jacket pocket as gasps were heard 

across the room. He knelt down and opened the box, a shimmeringdiamond ring sparkling in its place. "Dawn, will you marry me?"

Tears ran down Dawn's cheeks as she looked at Martin. She turned to look at her group of co-stars her eyes instantly stopping on Richard's. She noticed the glimmer of tears in his eyes, the pained expression on her face that she knew all too well... the same expression she wore her entire Highschool year. Maybe it was out of spite towards Richard or maybe it was because she really loved Martin, as much as he loved her, as she answered his question.

"Yes, I'd love to marry you..." As he slipped the ring on her finger, Dawn noticed the door to the ballroom swing open and Richard's seat was empty.