Chapter 1- Dudley's Birthday

I groggily blinked my eyes open, and took a minute to take in the surroundings that were my dingy old basement. I yawned once, fumbling to reach my hand under my pillow, which had once again fallen off my twin mattress that lay on the floor. I reached inside the pillowcase to grab the iPod I'd stolen from Dudley, and noticed I had only 15 minutes before I'd need to get up, seeing as my Aunt Petunia wanted me and my twin brother, Harry, up at 7:45.

I briefly glanced at the picture of my mum and dad on the floor beside the mattress. I sighed, picking up the frame and glancing at the picture through cracked glass. I wish they were still here. I wouldn't have to live with Vernon and Petunia, and lastly, their son, the pig, Dudley. If that drunk driver hadn't hit us, we'd still be a family. Harry and I escaped with only two lightning bolt scars on our foreheads.

That always made me curious. How did Harry and I manage to get the exact same scar, in the exact same place? And how did we get such a scar? Harry and I had come up with many theories, our most realistic being that a bent up piece of metal had struck us both in the head.

I turned on the front facing camera on my iPod, and fixed my dark red hair, which as always, was a complete mess. I flipped my long bangs from my hazel eyes, which I inherited from my dad. I punched in my passcode, and pondered on what to do.

I decided I wanted to talk to Harry, so I quickly FaceTimed him only the other iPod I'd stolen from the same cousin (both times he thought he'd lost it, while in reality I'd been taking them. He got a new one within days of its 'dissapearance'). Harry was in his room, the small cupboard under the stairs, while I had my room, in the basement only lit by four, dying lightbulbs, full of cobwebs, and cement walls and flooring. Though, it was about four times bigger than Pig's room.

Harry quickly picked up and scowled. "Melody, why don't you just come up here and talk to me?"

"What did you call me?" I asked sweetly. As I did, one light in the dingy room brightened, and my hair seemed to turn a shade brighter.

"Sorry Lily," he grumbled. "But why don't you just come up here and talk? We have five minutes until Aunt Petunia gets up."

"Exactly. By the time I get up there, Petunia will be yelling for us to get up," I said, rolling my eyes at my ridiculous twin.

"Whatever. You're ridiculous by the way. Not me."

I blushed, figuring I must've said it out loud. "Shut up Harry."

"Harry! Lily! Up! Up you get! Time for you to make breakfast and get over to Ms. Figg's! Now! Come on! Hurry it up! Harry, Melody up!" I heard Petunia's shrieking voice floating down the stairs, and I heard her knocking continuously on the door.

"Don't call me Melody!" I screamed up the stairs.

"That's your name!" she screeched.

"My name is Melody Lily Potter! And I go by Lily!" I retorted loudly.

"I'll call you whatever I want as long as you're living under my roof," Petunia said, still rapping her knuckles on Harry's door.

"It's not like I want to be living under your roof," I mumbled so only Harry could hear.

Harry chuckled at my words and glanced at the door as Petunia continued to knock. He groaned quietly and glanced back at the camera.

"See you soon I guess," he groaned.

"See you soon then Harry," I said.

We hung up, and I shut off my iPod, and tucked it back into my pillowcase. I stood up and went to the cardboard box in the corner of the room. I opened the box and looked at my small collection of reasonably nice clothes. I pulled on a pair of navy skinny jeans, some plain white socks, a black t-shirt, and a light grey zip-up hoodie, which I left undone.