Chapter 3- The Letter

This was our worst punishment ever. When we were finally allowed out of our rooms, weeks later, summer holiday had begun.

"Make breakfast Harry. Melody get the mail." Uncle Vernon said as soon as we entered the kitchen.

"Stop calling me that!" I exclaimed.

Uncle Vernon gave me a dirty look and pointed towards the front door with a large, meaty finger. His face had already gone through four shades of purple.

"Do what I say, and get the mail," he said firmly.

"Whatever," I muttered under my breath

"What was that?" Vernon asked menacingly.

"Nothing. Nothing." I said, rolling my eyes and walking away.

I muttered angrily as I walked into the hall. Walking past my room to the front door, I looked down beneath the mail slot and saw four letters lying there. I shuffled through them. One was an electrical bill, one was a letter for Aunt Petunia from Aunt Marge, one was for Harry, one was for me.

Harry and I got mail! I thought. Who would send mail to us?

I could've sworn I heard Harry reply. I shook my head. I must just be going insane from loneliness, being locked in the basement alone for weeks.

I looked at the front of one letter again. The envelope was made of rough yellowing parchment paper. The seal was split into four squares. One was blue and had an eagle, one was yellow and had a badger, one green and had a snake, and one was scarlet and had a lion. In the middle was a big letter 'H'.

I looked at the front again, almost unable to believe it. The address was scrawled on with shiny black ink, in great, fancy writing.

To Harry James Potter

4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Cupboard Under the Stairs

I looked at the other one, which I assumed was mine because the one I'd looked at was Harry's.

To Melody Lily Potter

4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Basement Bedroom

I walked into the kitchen and sat down beside Harry who had just finished making breakfast. I put the other two letters on the table beside Vernon. I lightly tapped Harry on the shoulder to get his attention and he looked at me. I showed him the letters and his eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"Mummy! Daddy!" Came a sudden yell from behind us. "Harry and Melody got mail!"

"Why do people keep calling me that?!" I exclaimed in frustration.

Everyone ignored me, much to my annoyance and looked at me and Harry. Harry looked like a deer caught in the headlights, and I sat back, arms crossed, with one eyebrow raised.

"So what? Are we not allowed to know people?" I sniggered.

"Give it to me," snarled Uncle Vernon as he snatched the letters out of my hands.

"Who's it from Vernon?" Questioned Petunia

He turned the letter around to open it and his eyes widened and his face went pale. He showed it to Petunia and she let out a squeal. Vernon put one hand on each side of the letter and ripped it in half. Dudley squealed in laughter, before turning away and turning towards the TV.

"Hey those were our letters!" Exclaimed Harry.

"Bloody hell! What are you thinking?!" I snarled, throwing my arms up in the air.