Chapter 18- Quidditch

McGonagall stopped suddenly in front of the Defence against the Dark Arts room. She knocked twice before walking in, motioning for Harry and me to stay out.

"Quirrell, could I borrow Wood and Flint?" I heard McGonagall say.

"Y-yes no p-problem," Quirrell stuttered.

"Flint and wood? Isn't that what they used to use to start fires?" I asked Harry, who I knew had actually paid attention in muggle school.

"Flint and steel, actually," Harry said factually, reminding me a bit of his friend, Hermione Granger. "But with magic? I don't know."

"She's not planning to light us on fire is she?" I joked. "I mean, we did break the rules."

"No. That would be illegal; magic or not."

"Ah, you're no fun. I wonder what she needs wood and flint for though."

Then McGonagall walked out of the classroom with two boys behind her, glaring at one and other. One wore a crimson and gold tie, while the other wore green and silver. The Gryffindor was obviously much older than the Slytherin.

"Harry, Mel-"

I cut her off, "Lily."

"Lily. This is Wood," she gestured to the Gryffindor, "and Flint." She pointed at the Slytherin.

I looked to Harry, then to McGonagall, then to Flint, then to Wood.

"So, you're not going to light us on fire?" I asked fighting to keep a straight face.

"What?" McGonagall looked at me bewildered. "Why on earth would I set you on fire?"

"Well I thought you meant, flint, like the rock, and wood, which people used to use to light fires." I began to mutter under my breath. "Except apparently you actually have to use steel."

"What? Why would I light you on fire?"

"Well I thought we were in trouble," I said.

"No, these are two students, named Wood and Flint: Oliver Wood, and Marcus Flint."

It was then that I couldn't keep a straight face anymore. I burst out laughing and I even heard Harry let out a chuckle behind me.

"These boys are the captains of Gryffindor and Slytherin Quidditch teams. They're going to be training you two as seekers. Fast. Your first game is in five days," McGonagall informed.

"We made the Quidditch teams?!" I asked incredulously, my laughter dying out immediately.

"Yes. If you want, that is," McGonagall said.

I shared a shocked look. If just being on a broom and catching a flying remembrall was that exhilarating, I couldn't imagine what it would be like playing an actual sport, for an actual team would be like.

"YES!" Harry and I screamed simultaneously.

"Well you're going to miss a lot of classes over the next few days because your next game is in five days. You two need to train hard," she said. "Especially you Harry, Gryffindor needs to win this year."

"Hey!"

To my surprise she laughed. "Go! I booked the pitch for the four of you now. You get the next class off."

"Four? I don't want to go with him!" Flint said pointing at Wood.

"They're going to get ahead in training if you don't suck it up!" I said, turning to face Flint.

"She's right," McGonagall said. "Take it or leave it."

The two older boys grumbled and started towards the front doors without another word. They walked on opposite sides of the hall and glared at one and other. They looked back at Harry and me, and saw us walking in the middle of the hall side by side. They threw us each a glare, and I went and walked behind Flint, Harry behind Wood.