Chapter 7- Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington

I walked down the stone stairs of the girls dormitory in my muggle clothing, black converse in hand, into the green glow of the Slytherin common room, quietly padding across the smooth floor in my socks. I never went unnoticed, but I kept my head down to avoid meeting gazes as I left the common room.

I stopped just outside of the common room and dropped my shoes, which landed with a thud, and echoed softly. I slid my feet into my shoes, before setting off. I was out to find the Gryffindor common room to meet the Weasley twins and Harry. I walked out of the Slytherin common room slowly, wondering where to go. I walked straight having no idea where to go.

"Gryffindors, your common room is the Gryffindor Tower, and it's up on the seventh floor, behind the portrait of the Fat Lady, you will need a password to enter, and the password changes every week." I suddenly remembered hearing from earlier, when the prefects were showing us first years where to go.

I found my way out of the dungeons, and continued from there. I set off to find the stairs, and failed miserably. After a while, it seemed I was walking in circles, and I ended up wandering around aimlessly. I sighed, looked around, and kept walking. I heard a loud crash behind me and my head snapped that way, hoping maybe to meet Peeves the Poltergeist.  I continued to walk, still looking behind me. All of a sudden I walked through something and it felt like I had walked under a freezing shower full of cobwebs. I looked up and spun around. I quickly pulled out my wand in shock when I looked and saw a ghost there, even though I didn't know any magic.

I stared for a minute my mouth agape. Since Hagrid had come to the hut on the rock, I'd had to remind myself at least a hundred times that magic was, in fact, real. The ghost was starting to give me a strange look, raising one eyebrow, and waiting for me to speak. I figured I should say something, still in slight shock.

"Who are you?" I asked, putting my wand back into my pocket.

"Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, but please, Nick," he said holding out his hand.

I didn't put out my hand for him to shake, as I already knew how it felt to go through a ghost. He put his hand back down a few seconds later, offering a quick apology. 

"So what house are you in?" he asked me, trying to break the now awkward atmosphere.

"Slytherin," I replied.

Nick frowned and shook his head slightly. I felt slightly offended, but soon after shook my head. I didn't like Slytherin either, why was I getting so upset about someone else not liking Slytherin?

"Well what are you doing up here?" Nick asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "The Slytherin common room is in the dungeons."

"I know, but I'm going to the Gryffindor common room to visit my brother, Harry Potter," I explained, hoping to make him think maybe I wasn't all slimy Slytherin.

"Harry Potter?! That must make you Melody Potter, it's an honour to meet you," Nick said, bowing slightly.

"Please," I said with a small smile, "Lily." I smiled at him. A small smirk came over my face, I'd easily redeemed myself already.

"Okay Lily. Would you like me to direct you to the Gryffindor common room?" He asked with a wave of his arm.

"Yes please," I replied happily, walking quickly behind the pale ghost.

"Follow me," he said, and I did so. He floated ahead of me and I ran to catch up.

I walked silently through the halls behind who I heard a Gryffindor call "Nearly Headless Nick". I started to wonder what happened to Sir Nicholas that he had been 'nearly' beheaded. I cleared my throat.

"Can I ask you a... personal question?" I asked cautiously.

"You want to know how I died," Sir Nicholas said knowingly, not even stopping to glance at me.

"Oh my God can this guy read minds too?" I quietly whispered to myself, whilst chuckling slightly.

"Well I can't read minds, but many people have asked me before," Nick smiled, glancing at me for a moment. "I don't mind giving the story."

"Oh yeah. I guess that makes a little more sense," I mused, furrowing my eyebrows slightly.

"Err... Well back in October 1492, I was strolling in the park, when I met Lady Grieve, a lady-in-waiting at the court of King Henry VII. I was confident I could fix her crooked teeth when I accidentally made her grow a tusk. Now felt real bad and any man could've made the mistake, but I was sentenced to death. The axe was too dull and it took 45 hits to kill me," Nick shivered. "Even then my head was only partially severed."

"Sheesh, that really sucks," I said feeling genuinely bad for the ghost but not knowing what to say.

Nick chuckled at my words through the gruesome story. Seconds later he pointed ahead of us to a portrait of the Fat Lady. 

"This is the entrance to the Gryffindor common room, behind the portrait of the fat lady. I'm not supposed to tell anyone but the password is..." He looked around for a moment. "Caput Draconis."

"Thanks Sir Nicholas!" I said waving goodbye.

"No problems, anything for Lily Potter. Also, if you can't find your way back to the Slytherin common room, try to find me," He said smiling, "I'll stick around here until 9 even though your curfew is 8."

"Will do Nick, see you around," I said with a smile and another wave.

He waved and I turn to face to portrait of the fat lady which looked right back at me. The moving artwork in the castle still unnerved me slightly, but stood tall regardless. 

"Password?" The Fat Lady asked.

"Caput Draconis," I said confidently, and the portrait swung open.

I walked in and look around the common room. I was the same as the Slytherin common room but much brighter and softer. Though the cool atmosphere in the dungeons was to me of more comfort than the heat of Gryffindor tower.

"Lily!" I heard Harry's voice carry across the room, and soon after, I noticed him running towards me.

"Harry!" I said brightly. "Where are the twins? Well... the other twins. Y'know... The ones that aren't us."

"Right here!" Said a  loud voice from behind me making me jump. I spun around to see two red headed boys standing behind me.

"Hey," I chuckled in greeting.

"Hey" says Fred... well I think it's Fred.

"Well we'd better get started" said... George?