Story prt. 5 The Fall.

As soon as we came into range of the damaged starship, it's shields buzzed down, and wide arcs of golden light shot at us from the starship.

Sulu and chekov were barely able to get the ship to avoid them, thier hands buzzing over the controls in precise small movements.

We backed off, onto the edge of the golden weapon's range, and the narada's shields buzzed back up, a small blue sphere temporarily inclosing the ship before disappearing from view.

"Open communication channels, send a hailing frequency." Prepare to send out away party. Kirk seemed to calmly give out orders.

No no-win scenarios, huh.

Well that's hillarious.

"Kaisar, you have the conn." I accepted the position, a dark haired girl with insect-like skin taking mine.

Sinking into the chair, I moved back slightly, my toes dragging on the floor.

Uhura got my attention. "Our hail has been received and accepted, captain."

Captain.

"Front visual, 50% of full vision, lieutenant."

The old, restless, unshaven face of Nero filled the front screen, then shrunk down to 50%.

"Kaisar." He said my name as if it was an unexpected spray of ice. "Where is Kirk, and Spock for that matter?"

My eyes steeled themselves. Ice.

"Your business is with me."

A flicker of worry came across his face.

I clasped my fingers in front of me, resting them on my mouth, one of my feet on the opposite knee.

"Worried, Nero?"

Nero's face straightened.

"I would tell you not to mess with the fleet. I could tell you you would stand trial." Small reaction, good. "I could even threaten you." My eyes gleamed.

"You seem to know me in your alternate time stream." I waited. "I got to take a tour of your ship. A mining vessel, correct?"

He acknowledged with a curt nod.

Light danced in my eyes.

"Then you know"

I could see a barrier of white surround his eyes.

"that all it would take is a spark."

Nero terminated the link. The intensity of the blasts increased. The shields of the ship simmered, I gave the go ahead to the main convoy, and their individual atoms simmered on to the enemy ship.

-----------------

It had been an hour. Communications had been spread thin, and static increased with every transmission, three of our away party had already.....

"Kirk reporting in, shvzhhhh...." There was a whine of static.

I stood, inadvertently. "Copy. Kirk, what is your position?"

Only to be met with more static.

Then, an entire wing of the Romulan ship lost power.

It had only taken a spark. I watched, head tilting 33 degrees to the left as I observed.

I imagined the chaos inside. The crew suffocating, auxiliary power supplies sputtering out of control.

A bright blue ship, spun out, ripping apart the shell of the Narada, scurrying out, all firing ceasing. They must have crippled the power systems.