8 Nathan: My Younger Brother.

Eight

Nathan: My Younger Brother.

"This is where you'll be staying for the next ten days." I said to Whitney, showing her my room.

"So this is the famous Nicholas Parker' room?"

"Ha. I guess so."

"Hmmm..."

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing... I just thought it would be different."

"Different... how?"

"I don't know. It just looks like a normal room. You would never guess that a famous person lives here.

"Oh... well... sorry?"

"No, don't be. I like it."

My room is painted navy blue; it has white curtains to match the bed and shelves. One single acoustic guitar leaned against the wall in the corner. The other six are hidden away in my walk-in closet.

I set her suitcase on the bed. "Well, I guess I'll go now. Come to the basement if you get bored. Dinner should be in about two hours." I said.

"Ok." Whitney said as she nodded.

I turned to leave.

"Nathan." She said.

I turned back around, "Yeah?" I asked, secretly hoping she would confess she likes me, and kiss me.

"Thanks." She smiled.

"For what?" I asked.

"For Everything."

I smiled, "No problem."

I closed the door behind me as I left. Fifteen minutes later she came downstairs. I got really nervous when mom called her into the kitchen to talk, and shut the doors. I wasn't getting anywhere trying to eavesdrop; the walls were just too thick. I decided to stop torturing myself and go hang out with Levi (He and I are the only ones that don't have girlfriends.)

"Hey! What's up, man?" I asked him.

"Nothing much." He responded.

"How have things been here at home?"

"I don't know. Different. Without you guys, I guess."

"Mom and dad don't miss us too much do they?"

"Yeah, mom talks about you guys like twenty four seven."

I laughed, that sounded like my mom. "What about you?" I asked.

"What?"

"Do you miss us a bunch too?"

"Well... I don't know. I've been so busy I hardly even notice that you guys are gone."

I laughed at this too. What could possibly keep an eight year old busy enough, that he wouldn't notice his three older brothers are gone? "Well what has kept you so busy?" I asked.

He got a dreamy look on his face... "Molly." Levi sighed. (Guess I was wrong. I'm the only one that doesn't have a girlfriend.)

"Oh?" I raised my eyebrows, "who is Molly?"

"This girl. Her and her family moved into a house down the street right after you guys left."

"Oh. So you like her?"

"Yeah. She's my girlfriend."

"How come I haven't heard about her during our phone conversations?" I asked.

"I don't know. It didn't really seem that important."

I laughed. Gosh, I miss this kid.

So when do I get to meet her?" I asked.

"Never!" Levi declared.

"Never?"

"Yeah, you'll embarrass me!"

"Yeah, whatever." I smiled, "You know, I kind of feel left out now." I confided in him.

"Why?"

"I'm the only one of us brothers who doesn't have a girlfriend."

"Sure you do!" Levi said, "That pretty girl you brought home, Whitney."

"Eh... She's pretty cool, man. But I don't think she likes me like that."

"But you like her, don't you?"

Am I really that obvious? I thought.

I was about to answer his question honestly, when I looked up. Whitney was standing there. I could feel my cheeks burning. Crap. But I didn't feel too bad, because hers were bright red too. "Uh..." I started to say, rubbing the back of my neck.

She interrupted me, "Sorry. I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I came to tell you that dinner is ready."