Chapter 11: Questions

Manny and I watched Jared and Madeline flirt after school. It was better than any soap opera.

"Oh Maddy, you are so fine girl," I imitated my brother in the deepest voice I could muster. "I dream about you all day. I could just drown in your eyes."

"Oh Jare Bear, our forbidden romance makes you all the more hot," Manny said in a high pitched voice.

"I know baby, let's elope," I continued to watch the two adding our own dialogue.

"But I can't honeybun, my brother, it's too much for me to handle," Manny didn't get out of character.

Madeline was turning away to leave, but Jared caught her arm.

"Baby wait!" I continued.

"I can't, Jared, I really can't," Manny pretended to cry as Madeline walked away.

"Nooo, my love! Nooo!" I said as Jared sulked, staring after her longingly.

Manny and I looked at each other before bursting into laughter. God, if Jared heard us we'd be dead.

Manny put his arm around my shoulders as we walked outside. We saw Madeline outside talking to Karter. His eyes landed on us before they narrowed in distaste. I felt Manny shiver before removing his arm from around my shoulders. I gave Karter a wave, but he turned to look back at Madeline as if nothing happened. Uh... rude! Note to self: give Karter an earful during his lunch break at work.

I gripped Manny's arm, feeling him ready to escape. "Don't even think about it."

"Livia..." he groaned. "Why are you forcing me to go out with you?"

"Because," I grunted. "We need to spend more time together. Karter might be my new friend, but you are still my best friend."

"Fine, fine," Manny rolled his eyes. "But I'm not staying for your date with Karter."

"It's not a date!" I gasped, hitting his arm. "It's a 'know your friend better hour'!"

Manny laughed at me before dragging me to his car. We drove to the cafe across from Karter's workplace.

"I can't believe you brought me here to check out Karter," Manny complained for the nth time as he stared out the window waiting for my new friend to show up to work.

"I want to prove it to you! Plus, I thought you liked checking out hot guys with me," I frowned.

Manny shrugged, "you know I do."

"Okay, then trust me on this one," I said as I took a sip of my iced coffee. Ten minutes later, Karter had come into view inside the open garage door. He was dressed in his blue uniform tied around his waist exposing his white wife-beater. His hair was tied up exposing his face and neck. I snuck a look at Manny who I could see was enjoying his view.

"Okay... you were so right," he admit.

Yes!

"I told you, now wait until you see him up close. Whoo! That's a sight," I said fanning myself.

Manny nodded his head. "Fine, you win Liv."

Manny and I caught up and chilled until it was six. Karter was making his way into the cafe, his eyes roaming the place until they landed on me. His once lit expression darkened upon seeing Manny beside me. I knew he hated my group of friends, but I really wanted him to like Manny.