Chapter 17

Sorry it took so long

A T T I C U S

When I finally got to school I took my time getting into the school and going to my locker, preparing myself for my talk with Christian.

He was at my locker when I got there, notebook in hand.

He looked up when I was close enough, "Atticus," he said.

I took my notebook and opened my locker, "Just please don't."

"Don't what?" He questioned.

"Don't pity me, you saw the notebook, you saw everything... You saw me." I looked at him.

"But there is more to you than that journal, Atticus. Your not just the boy that lost his parents, not just the boy how's parents didn't except him," I flinched a little at that, "You're so much more than your darkest times."

I couldn't look away from him, "So you don't... pity me?"

He smiled, "Not at all. You know, my parents are kind of assholes too."

I felt a lump form in my throat. He was different. I felt myself smile, looking away, "Thank you." I whispered, not trusting my voice to go any louder.

He lightly turned my head to face him, "You're so quick to judge other people because that's what people do to you." It was like a question but more of a accusation.

I just nodded, not wanting to talk. His hand was still gently keeping my face looking at him, I could still easily move it but I didn't want to.

We were looking right into each others eyes, the hallway was nearly empty but it wasn't like people around us mattered in that moment.

Slowly I saw Christian inch closer, more timid than he was last time, afraid of scaring me off. But I was done being afraid, of being closed off and so judgemental. Christian was different and he was opening me up.

I met him half way and my eyes instinctively closed as I enjoyed our sweet, soft kiss. Different from the one before. Slowly our kiss got more passionate and needy.

Finally we pulled away for air, our foreheads still touching.

Christian pecked my lips a few more times like I wouldn't let him do it again before pulling away.

"Wow." We heard a voice down the hallway. Instantly afraid of it being Jesse, I backed away from Christian. But seeing it was only Sam I sighed in relief, stepping closer to Christian.

"I see you two have made up just fine." Sam said smiling. I felt my cheeks warm as he said that. More and more people were coming into the hallways now, school was about to start.

"Why did you come and interrupt?"

"Well I came looking for Atty but since you two made up maybe I should give you time alone."

I gave him a questioning look and stopped him from leaving.

"What is it?"

He glanced a Christian and back at me, "I'll talk to you later about it."

Just as I was about to stop him again, the bell rang.

"What was that about?" Christian asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I guess I'll find out later."

Christian grabbed my wrist before I could walk to class.

"Wait," He said and pecked my lips again making me blush.

"I like you, Atticus. A lot."

"I like you too." I said lightly, matching his smile. It was true, I had never liked anyone as much as I like Christian. I never thought I could let someone see all of me and still like them, let alone them still like me.

"Lets go to the cafe today after school, we can study a bit and just hangout, yeah?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

With that we went our separate ways to class.

Everything had been so bad for me just the day before. I thought I was losing something, Christian, and once again I would be alone with my dark drawings and a caring aunt. But once again Christian surprised me and showed me he was more than the person I assumed him to be.

The hole day passed ad I didn't see Sam to ask him what this morning was about. I thought about trying to find him after school but as soon as Christian found me we left, he didn't want to risk running into Jesse if we stayed at the school too long.

When we got to the cafe we ordered what we wanted ad sat down to start studying and taking.

We were about half way through the notes and already on our second drinks when I asked what had been on my mind since we started tutoring, "Why do we never go to your house?"

He froze for a minute, staying quiet. I knew I had hit a sensitive subject and regretted it.

"Never mind, sorry I asked." I quickly tried to change the subject by asking a question about the notes.

"It's okay Atticus, its just my parents are kid of assholes and I dot want them to hurt you."

"They hurt you?" I asked my mind wandering to the various ways that his parents could hurt him.

"Not physically." So emotionally, "That's why I just stay with Sam a lot or bury myself in football. Speaking of, do you think you can make it to my game this Friday?"

I nodded, "Yeah, but I don't really understand the game." I admitted.

He smiled, "That's okay, the team and a few other people are going to a diner after the game, would you want to come with me?"

"I'd have to ask Lydia but I'm sure she won't care. "

He smiled, happy to know that I could be going with him. We got back to studying and I was glad so glad in that moment that when he looked through my drawing that he didn't judge me for them and that I didn't dwell on the fact that he had seen them.

When it was time to go Christian drove me back to the school so I could get my car. I kissed his cheek before I got out and got in my car, driving home.

Lydia immediately asked me how everything went and was happy to hear that Christian and I had cleared everything up and were something more than friends, I realized then that I wasn't really sure what we were but I knew it had to be more than friends.

I don't really like this chapter, I feel like it was kind of rushed, maybe I'll go back and edit it.