II

Finally, the angels were back. The group was smiling, Gerard arrived tonight! But when they found Frank curled up near the gates of Heaven, his head in his knees, they knew something had gone wrong.

They started to rush forward, but Pete held up his hand. He shook his head. They got the message, going through the gates. Pete would deal with this.

"Frank." He said gently, going to sit next to him. He placed his hand on Frank's shoulder.

"Don't touch me." Frank mumbled in a strangled voice, he sounded strange to Pete. He liked being comforted when he was upset, actually, this whole situation was unlike Frank. He removed his hand anyways.

"What happened?" Pete asked softly, "Gerard was supposed to come today. Why aren't you with him?"

Frank sighed, lifting his head. Pete gasped, his eyes wide. Frank's irises were golden. Pete paled, he knew what that meant.

Frank stared at Pete with puppy-dog eyes. "He doesn't love me anymore, Pete." He whimpered, "He's got someone else, he told me he never loved me, Pete."

Pete hadn't heard the whole story, but he was ready to punch that boy. How dare he say that to Frank? Frank, the sweet boy who had waited outside the gates of Heaven because he promised he would. Frank, the boy who'd rather be with Gerard than be an angel. Frank, the boy who tries to befriend almost everyone, and gets hurt too easily.

"I'm worthless without him, Pete. I'm useless, absolutely useless." He whispered, sniffling. "I'm nothing without him, Pete. It'd be better if I'd just disappear." His eyes lost focus, "I hate myself."

Pete grabbed Frank's hand, "You're going to disappear if you keep this up, Frank."

"What do you mean?"

"You're dying, Frank!"

"I'm already dead, though."

"There's no coming back from this, Frank." Pete said softly, "No coming back to Heaven, at least. You're going to be gone. For good."

Frank blinked, then smiled, "Good. At least now I won't get in the way of Gerard and his wife." Again. He added silently.

Pete tightened his grip on Frank's hand, "Frank, don't say that!" Pete whispered, tears running down his face. "Think about what you're saying, please!"

Frank shrugged, and suddenly Pete knew he was too far gone to be saved.

"I won't let him get away with this, Frank, trust me."

Frank squeezed Pete's hand lightly. "You were always such a good friend." He murmured. "I don't deserve you."

And with those last words he closed his eyes, leaning against Pete gently.

Pete sighed, tucking Frank's hair behind his ear gently. He was already cold. He suddenly felt as though Frank had grown lighter. He watched in amazement as his best friend started dissolving, starting from his fingertips, into sparkling dust. Ashes. It was how an angel died. Pete narrowed his eyes, Gerard had not only broken his best friend's heart, he had made him feel like he meant nothing in the last moments of his life, and wasted what could have been a valuable angel.

Suddenly he heard a soft clang as something hit the floor. It was a golden heart shaped locket, Frank's most prized possession. When Pete opened it, he saw pictures of Frank and Gerard. He laughed sadly, shaking his head and closing the locket. Frank was still in love, even in death.

When Pete walked through the gates, the angels bombarded him with questions.

"Is he going to be okay?"

"What happened?"

"Was it something that had to do with Gerard?"

Pete closed his eyes, holding up the locket. "Does this answer your questions?" He hissed. He heard a collective gasp.

"Frank can't be gone!" A soft female voice exclaimed.

Pete opened his eyes. He already knew it was Jamia; it was no secret that she was in love with Frank.

Their eyes met, and one thing was certain for the both of them: they were out for blood, and with the determined look in their eyes it was certain they weren't going to stop until they got it.

---------------------------------------

Y'all better appreciate i made this tbh like i'm so happy i'm writing again don't let this flop or i may just post this all on ao3 when it's finished

xoSoph