Chapter 18

My heart was pounding. 20 minutes is all the time we have to escape TSC.

We hid by the scared marching groups of campers, too busy babbling and muttering. A banshee wailed and in perfect timing, all the campers left their dorms to evacuate. Their screaming signals danger and even death, which is a great distraction for our escape.

I followed Elijah cautiously, his hand on mine, gripping tight when we have to move quicker. I gulped over the winter's scent that fills every space the crowd around me cannot overtake. The group suffocated me, their slow movement wasting our precious time.

"We're wasting time" I mumbled over Elijah as we stopped on our tracks.
He exhaustingly sighed.  "I don't know where we are"
"What?" I muttered in disbelief, scanning the area, I find the light glow of the arena as the group of campers passed.

"Right!" I yelped as Elijah followed, pulling me abruptly to the direction I insisted on going. It was a few meters away. Campers were pushing, passing through.

A few more bumps in hiding from the crowd till we broke free. We ran then. My left hand gripped on the strap of my backpack,  keeping it steady on my shoulder as I was continuously dragged by Elijah.  

Het let go, reaching for his own bag. My legs were already aching from the running but the end of the camp was so close.  I panted, my focus directly to Rebecca. This whole thing depends on us and only us and we can't afford any other distractions.  

"We are almost there" Elijah yells as we cautiously sprinted to the far end. He was right, from afar I saw the wall with small bulbs of light hanging from afar.
"It's them" I sighed in relief. "We are close"

As the wall grew larger by minutes in sight, I almost felt like fainting. I was tired,  dreadfully tired. But that didn't matter anymore, Rebecca is all we have to think of right now.

From afar, I could see the line where the sky touches the wall but that was close to diminishing in moments we were closer. There were trees in front, miles of woods brought to you by the werewolf pack themselves.  Their training area held a strong guard around the camp, good for them. Bad for us, intruding.

The night that was sprinkled by a heavenly amount of stars was a blur from the larger number of trees. We continued running, not bothering to stop. Dodging trees, we kept our pace. It was one straight line,  if we kept moving forward, we'll only be ending up the same route to the edge of the camp to meet our group mates once again. The woods only felt like a shadow as Elijah's bag led my way.

I panted once more, my legs were dangerously shaky. I placed my whole weight in a large tree that stood before me. I exhaled deeply,  seeing the fuzzy sight of Elijah's bag be lost in the darkness. I was exhausted. My eyelids were heavy as I pushed myself off the trunk and continued my way.

"Elijah!" I called, keeping my route straight as Elijah said. But the only thing in sight was the fuzzy image of the whole woods.  "Elijah!!"

I didn't notice my pace being slower as I heard it myself. My shoes were touching the dirty soil as my legs trembled. My knees were close to bucking and my whole body was perspiring, ready to give up.

Child

I faced up, hearing the silent voice.

Hurry

I felt like it was a charm speak because my body followed the voice obediently despite the torment.

I ran again but it was a different name I called.

"James" I yelled, my throat tightening. "James"

It was impossible for James to be here, we all had a role. Elijah and Aaron had to drain the power that held the camp. James was supposed to grab Polly after the distraction and escape, just to see us in the other side.  They were in the farther sections of the camp.