Part 1 / Chapter 1

"I should've known"

It was half past 3 o'clock in a Monday morning. The skies were dark as I stood in the porch of my best friend's house. The knob was obviously locked and there's no other way I could get in without using the pieces of cold rusty keys of the cottage.

My phone died half an hour ago after few attempts of trying to open the front door. I couldn't contact anybody without my phone and shouting wouldn't help knowing my best friend as a heavy sleeper.

Earlier that night was quite fuzzy to me, not knowing where I was and how the time past by. All I remember is the party I was invited to, drinking maybe a lot and ending up in my car.

I woke up quite sober to drive home ( as in my best friend's home) not knowing the consequences of coming in late.

Leading me here, shivering cold in a December morning. My dirty coat felt stiff from the breeze and my scarf was no help either.

My real home was an 8 hour drive and I didn't even think taking the risk of going back to my parents who despises me.

"Becca!" I called loudly, knowing my chances.

I shoved the same key for the 5th time in 10mins and with luck, I heard the victory click.

I let go of the knob, praying this wasn't a hallucination. My mind playing tricks by making myself see scenarios I wish would happen.

Once my hand drew closer to the metal knob, I see it turning 90 degrees in a slow pace from the other side.

I didn't even think of a burglar possibly leaving this house when I reached and twisted the knob open too.

Once the door swung, the sight surprised me. Nobody stood in front of me, nobody was by the door.

"Kath"

I glanced at the sight of Rebecca, standing on top of the staircase, her eyes squinting with confusion.

"I told you, twist it harshly!" , she sighed in exasperation before stomping down.

"Sorry" I sighed as I checked the surroundings. "Were you the one who opened the door?"

"Are you kidding me? Are you high?"Rebecca folded her arms this time. "Last time I checked, you were by the door"

"I just-" I stared at the door confusingly before shrugging. "I guess I am high"

Rebecca laughed quietly "I guess you are. Come on, it's 4"

I dragged myself up the stairs before tucking myself to bed. As I lay my head on the pillows of the small framed bed, my thoughts instantly taking control of my whole body, forbidding me to sleep.

If it wasn't Rebecca who opened the door, someone else must be in the house.

My heart raced. But if someone else was there, why would he or she bother helping me.

As I shut my eyes close, the warm feeling of a mother's embrace came to me. Calming me and dismissing all my thoughts.

"You'll be okay" Once the words came to me, I drifted to sleep.

___

"HEY GET UP"

I opened my eyes up to see the face of a boy, his chin was lightly hairy and his eyes were emerald green.