Chapter 17

Not sure if my heart was pounding with fear or with joy.
I was happy for James in the news of his living twin, information from his own mother. But that's another problem only I have to fix.I have to find Georgina for James. Yes I owed him so much and surely by finding her, I could repay him. But I'll just be adding his favor to a long list.

James eyes was filled with delight ticking like a bomb. He mentioned that his feelings were always twice as what mortals were feeling. Meaning he's happy, but his vampire-self makes him overjoyed. His smile was twice as large as I knew it could go, his hands couldn't even make themselves steady.

"I even couldn't believe it, right?" He half-yelps. His shoulder shaking from laughter and I couldn't even think of a more awkward thing to do but watch the boy beside me be drown in his own happiness.
"Yeah" I smiled back before hesitantly reaching my hand to pat his back. "I'm happy for you"
He stopped to face me for a second. "But you will help me right?"

No, I wanted to say. My plans are packed, James. I can't do anything without drowning in favors that will just exhaust me easily. But not helping them will just bring torment and guilt.

"Yeah" I said before standing. I don't want to lie. But I don't want to fail either. They depended on me. I am not just the leader but also the immortal they trust. I'm their only ticket to their train of a success.

I felt heavily packed, tired as if I was about to drop. My eyes were getting teary and my heart felt like it was dropping.
I left James in his joyful state and tried walking myself out. Which was a horrible mistake.

I was shivering from the cold, or from the fear. I breathed heavily, taking a step at a time. I'm having doubts again, I suppose. We were leaving tonight. A pack of campers leaving their only sanctuary to save a mortal from hell. I wonder how that story will end. But it didn't matter. The mortal was my bestfriend, and she had nothing to do with any of this. Rebecca is innocent.

"Hey"
I was outside already. The music was dying down from the sorority house behind me. The sun was setting quick with the pink skies complimenting the life of the city. I was running my fingers on the scalp of my head, desperately trying to calm myself down from the mess that started with me.

The voice comes from behind me. A dark and soothing tone that washed over me like a cup of black coffee.
Stands a boy. A large coat wrapped around his toned chest, black but it wasn't Robert. The young boy was only 23 when this one looked definitely like him.

I was used to his smile that was much prettier than the sunset but now all I see is a face full of concern.
He approached me casually, his hands tucked in the front pockets of his coat. He huffed a thin cloud of steam and all I could play back is his hands on my cheek and his lips in mine.

"Are you okay?"
I nodded. "I'm good"
Aaron shrugged. "You don't look like it"

There's something I noticed with Aaron that I'm not sure of. His smile that once felt flirty now feels permanent in the back of my head. His presence is like a shadow that follows me. His words feel like a poem written for me. It was horrifying when I figured it. Horrific. Terrible

"I am" I repeated.
He fake-coughed. "About earlier..."

Oh no. Maybe he'll say he regretted it. Maybe he didn't want me. God knows if I wanted him or not.

"What about earlier?" I say, playing stupid.
"The one that happened in the cavern" He continuous.
"What happened?" I laughed.
He chuckled lowly before facing me, "The kiss"

That tickled my spine. I couldn't control blushing and with his expression and his lustful smile I know he sees.
"If you didn't mean what you did-" I began.
"No" He blurts out, his cheeks growing redder by the moment. "That's exactly what I wanted to tell you"