Part 4

Winter watched so many emotions cross Scarlet's face. Surprise, love, happiness, and bewilderment were immediately evident. She let out a high pitched, completely un-Scarlet squeal. Her hands flew to her mouth.

"Winter! Oh my stars! You're pregnant!"

Winter nodded, tears starting to pool at the edges of her eyes. She was so glad that her Scarlet had been the first to know. She knew that she would be the happiest. She was Winter's closest friend, and she had been so worried that she wouldn't be happy.

Scarlet was laughing, and her face was entirely red. She was smiling so wide. It made Winter happy.

"How long?"

"I've known 16 weeks." Scarlet leaned back against the booth. She just kept shaking her head and smiling. Then a thought occurred to her. She leaned forward again, squinting her eyes.

"Does Jacin know?"

Winter nodded. "He was the first only to you." She saw something strange on Scarlet's face, an expression between smugness and pride. She was going to ask why the cat who ate the canary had appeared on her face, but Scarlet stood up and walked past the table to sit next the Winter.

She sat down next to her and wrapped her arms around Winter's torso. Winter hugged back, resting her head on Scarlet's shoulder.

"I want you to be the godmother."

Scarlet pulled back a little. Now her eyes were also brimming with tears. She let out another squeal.

It hurt Winter's ears, but she didn't mind. She could feel nothing but complete happiness.