[ sixteen ] anthurium

After Rain

Chapter Sixteen

If people around me were to be flowers, Silas Reid would be Anthurium. Ever since I first met him at his house, where he had given me a look of concern over my break down I couldn't help but associate him happiness. He gave too much without asking anything in return, Silas was a truly generous person.

But I had been wrong all along. Silas wasn't filled with happiness or abundance. He wasn't Anthurium, he was Gladiolus. He was strong enough to smile even after having scars. He was stronger than I could ever be.

That day in cafeteria when Brian made me eat that Tuna sandwich, I had eaten it on purpose, thinking that I deserved to be punished. And Silas had to witness the whole scene in front of his eyes. I never realized my actions could hurt someone or trigger someone else memories. When he argued with me, I thought he was mad because of frustration. I was wrong, just like always.

I was an extremely selfish person. Knowing about Silas had made me realize that I had used him to crawl back to normality. I had used Zaid's hatred to punish my self, trying to earn self satisfaction. I had used Grisha's support to make myself feel better about the whole situation.

I was tired of all this, of living.

But I knew I couldn't give up, not until I find my brother and saw justice brought to Lee. I had that responsibility on my shoulders and even if I were to die, I would never truly be peaceful.

''Nicola, you see a little sick are you okay?'' Nell shook me out of my thoughts, peering over and giving me a concerned look. I attempted a smile and got up from the ground, broom in one hand and a dust pan in another.

''I'm fine.''

''I never noticed before but are those dark circles under your eyes? Aren't you too young for this?''

''I do? I have them?'' I asked dubiously, touching my face, Nell nodded, leaning closer for inspection,

''Do you have trouble sleeping?'' I shook my head,

''No, I think its because of school.''

Aislyn who was sitting at the table, with her laptop open and was typing furiously snorted, ''School? Its the college students that suffer. In high school, kids just play games.''

''Ignore her'' Nell whispered and gave me space to go back to the store and put away the cleaning supplies.

When Nell was closing the shop for the day and Aislyn was busy fighting over who gets to drive the car, I walked towards her with an unsure expression.

''Your hair are really cool,'' Aislyn looked taken aback when I touched the tips of her hair,

''Whats with you today, did you drink a lot last night.''

''I am not allowed to drink, I've got issues with my liver.'' I replied to her and then added, ''can you cut my hair like yours, or dye them nicely.''

She blinked and then placed a hand over my forehead, ''I think you are sick Miss Moore, that or you are trying to flirt with me.''

''Can I come then, to your place?''

This time she turned serious, ''Do you want to talk to me that badly?'' Good that she knew.

''I'm truly desperate.'' I replied, deadpanned and walked to where Umair stood waiting,

''I'm gonna go to Nell's place for a while, you won't be late for home right?''

He shook his head, ''Its fine, get in. I'll go with you.''