[ ten ] knowing pain

HEY: this chap is unedited and thus there are typos and mistakes!

*      *    *

After Rain

Chapter Ten

''Your friend must be hungry, why don't you take something upstairs for her?'' I was busy playing a bubble shooting game on my phone when Ronnie approached me. I gestured in the kitchen,

''I'm waiting for the juice.'' She nodded, there was a stack of documents in her hands. Ever since she graduated she had started working alongside dad at the hotel. Her internship ended last week and since then she had started to accompany dad. I had never seen Mrs. Marshfield's hotel personally. Only in pictures and it was huge. Like one of those holiday hotels you see pictures of in magazines.

A second later the juice was made and I thanked the Paul - the new chef that dad had hired for the house- before accepting the tray from him. There were two glasses, one for Lee and one for Zaid. I had asked them to stay for dinner as well but Lee said she had to go back home since she needed to complete her assignment that was due tomorrow.

''Where is she?'' I muttered when I didn't find her in the lounge. Ronnie walked beside me and pointed upstairs,

''Keith's room.''

I frowned and started to walk upstairs, balancing the tray in my hand. Why were they in my brothers room? I sighed and opened the door with one leg and walked in. Keith was at his laptop, furiously typing and Lee was sat beside him with a solemn expression on her face.

When I came in, he immediately closed the laptop and swiveled his chair to face me. I didn't miss the slightly alarmed expression on Lee's face.

''I brought juice.'' I told them and set the tray on the table. When Keith tried to reach for the glass I swatted his hand away,

''What?''

''Its for Zaid.''

''Thanks, I'll quickly have this and leave.'' Lee said, taking a sip.

''What are you guys doing here?'' I asked them, eyeing her suspiciously, ''don't tell me-''

''No!'' Keith cried before I could offer the proclamation. He gave me a dirty look, ''such a gutter brain really. I'm not a cheater.''

Lee smiled at me with an assuring expression, ''I was curious about the college application process and he was showing me how it works.''

''Oh yeah that.'' Kieth had wanted to go to college together with his Siena and it was all he was talking about nowadays.

''Where's your brother?'' I asked Lee, picking up Zaid's glass to give him.

''He went to the roof.'' I nodded and wordlessly left the room to find him. When I made my way upstairs I was unable to shake away the unease the settled over me. Keith and Lee were hanging out a lot lately and it seemed like she was visiting our place just to meet him, not me. What business could Lee possibly have with my brother?

Even though I had jokingly said those words in his room, I knew they didn't have that kind of relationship. Keith was crazy about Siena and he would never cheat her. Also Lee was extremely iffy about relationships in general, thanks to her dad. Then why? Why were they suddenly so close? What was this about?

A part of me thought that maybe I was overacting and it was nothing to worry about. But my instincts said that something fishy was going on and they didn't want me to know.

I shook away the thoughts when I saw Zaid standing on the roof, his back was on me and he was staring at the houses around ours.

''Do you find me that boring?''