[ twenty three ] unsaid goodbyes

NOTE: Hi guys. I'm 100 percent aware that this book needs editing and the chapters have a lot of mistakes, but I really want to complete the story right now, if I start editing it just makes me want to change everything. I know the writing has mistakes and I WILL fix them. Just after I'm done with the book. Speaking of which, only three more chapters to go! 

**

After Rain

Chapter 23

I was trying my best to help Nell and Aislyn around the apartment. I had no cooking skills but I was good at cleaning and even when they told me it was okay I decided to take the cleaning duty. I also felt bad for not going to the shop and help Nell but she brushed it off and told me to take it easy. I didn't know someone could be as nice as her.

Jalaal had warned me that I wasn't allowed to step outside the apartment since we couldn't risk Nell's and Aislyn's safety. I only saw Keith and him twice ever since they dropped me here that day. They rarely came to visit and just like that a whole week passed. By Sunday, I was kind of mad at them. It seemed as if they were doing things behind my back again and I had no role in their work. I felt distanced and isolated.

When they finally came back, they looked worse than they did last time. This meant there was no progress with anything at all and made me forget about my anger.

''Dad is looking for you,'' Kieth informed me with a sullen face, ''I think they are going to ask authorities for help if you don't show up soon.''

''What about Ronnie? Did you get into contact with you?'' I asked them, searching their gazes for answers.

Jalaal shook his head, ''No. Unfortunately, your father thinks I kidnapped you, it also seems likely that they already know my identity. We cannot risk going near your house.'' I nodded with a heavy heart. Now that Keith was okay, it was Ronnie who got into trouble and I was worried about her. Was she okay? What did dad plan to do to her? Was she still at home? These questions hunted my thoughts.

''I'm sorry to intrude,'' Aislyn suddenly joined us, her hair was tied in a messy bun and she wore her reading glasses. She was busy with school work and this made me feel even more guilty than before. Keith and Jalaal looked at her and waited for her to continue,

''What happened to the CCTV your sister was looking for? Couldn't that be used as a evidence?''

Keith met my eyes and his expression hardened, ''Unfortunately we don't know what happened to it. Dad probably destroyed it.'' The thought was sickening and I held my head down in disappointment. How were we going to prove anything at all? Was there any other way? Jalaal must have noticed my expression.

''Don't worry, leave this to me. I will make sure that the people who did wrong pay for their crimes. I haven't been wasting time for the last year either.''

''We found out that dad took a huge bribe from Mrs. Marshfield in order to keep things ... quite.'' Keith hesitated as he began to tell me. I recalled the time when she visited me and told me that Lee's death was suicide. I thought about the desperation on dad's face when he told me cooperate and how keeping quite was best for all of us. I figured out his relationship with Mrs. Marshfield back then, on how he was doing this all for money.

''I already know that. So, tell me whatever its on your mind.''

He pursued his lips, ''We can easily find documents to prove the bribe since the amount that she gave him specifically after Maleeha's death was quite unreasonable. Our house, the cars, everything we own right now belongs to Marshfield Corp. The problem is, the back accounts were opened with mom's name.''