[ twenty four ] blood, tears, rain

After Rain

Chapter 24

The Oakland street was filled with similar houses on either side. The only way I was able to recognize Mr. Trey's house was his silver Civic parked right outside. When I saw him leaving I froze on the spot. If it wasn't evening he would have seen me. I willed myself to move away from the street light but the sight of him kept me rooted and my legs refused to obey me.

Seeing him leave made me realize that Zaid had planned everything from the start. He knew Trey would leave at exactly seven and won't be home for some time. The thought made me anxious. How long had Zaid been keeping an eye on him?

He started the engine and seconds later the car sped away in the other direction. Knowing how foolish I was being, I rushed towards the house. Right on the front door was his name plate and the address. I scrambled around, searching to the keys, but I couldn't find it. There were several plant pots around the door but it seemed silly that he would leave the keys there. Still, I searched with the sound of rain pounding behind me. I was drenched from head to toe and my legs were on fire, but it would be foolish to stop.

''Shit!'' I muttered when I couldn't find the keys and kicked the door in frustration. My hands were filled with mud and I didn't think before running my fingers through my wet hair. The only option was the window and seeing how wide they were, I felt a little encouraged.

I picked up the largest stone I could find on the ground and looked around the street, knowing it was important to not get caught. I had to do this as silently as possible and leave before Trey could come home. The plan was simple; search for the cellphone and if it wasn't there, wait for Zaid and stop him from going in. This was the only way to save him.

I stopped by the window and hesitantly threw the stone on it. It took two tries to break the glass and I flinched hearing the sound. The thunder across the sky was louder and I hoped the neighbors didn't hear the glass.

It took some struggle to get inside the house without hurting myself, unfortunately when I made it inside my right foot was bleeding. I sat on the dark floor and took out the shard of glass, hissing with pain. Trey would know that someone broke in here, but I had to wipe the blood. It was a huge risk to leave the trace on the floor. I used a piece of my shirt to do the work and tied it around my leg. That had to do for now.

The house was dark and I searched for the lights. The switchboard was by the door and when the sitting room was illuminated I looked around the space. It was neat and everything was organized perfectly. There wasn't a lot in the room, the shelves were void and empty. Except for the walls that were filled with paintings; a lot of them.

This was the house of a murderer. I stood, looking around and feeling hatred burning through my veins. I had to remind myself that there was no time for thoughts and I had to do my work fast.

The house was a single story which made things a little easier. There were two single bedrooms, one of which was completely empty while the other belonged to Trey. The kitchen was small and attached to the living room with a small table in the middle which had unwashed plates sitting on it.

I searched his room first with my heart beating fast. If the cellphone was with him and if it was still in its original shape, he would keep it nearest to himself. His wardrobe, his dresser, the bedside tables; I went through everything. There was a lot of stuff related to school, files and documents and a lot more that I fished through, but there were no traces of a cellphone.

What if I was right and he had already destroyed it? In amidst of the mess I had created I sat down on the floor, looking around helplessly. Nothing. I came here for nothing. Zaid...I had to let him know.