chapter fourteen ~ aftermath

short and sweet chapter to clear up your questions! longer chapters are coming later i promise (theatre camp is amazing but very time consuming)

also, i have a boyf riends one shot book that i just published! and yes, i am happily taking requests :) it would mean the world to me if you could go check it out!

***

"hello, and welcome to the today show. I'm kathie lee gifford. our first story today is so insane, you might find it hard to believe. definitely something out of a novel. a young couple, soulmates, completely infatuated with each other, were enjoying themselves at the musical of the century when a gunshot went off. what they did next is astounding. here's savannah guthrie."

"thank you, kathie.
eighteen-year-old connor murphy had already looked for his soulmate, evan hansen, all around the country after a chance meeting on the street and then the sudden disappearance of hansen. it took a year, but by using a website, lostsoulmates.com, murphy was able to track down the missing boy who had gone through a nightmare of abuse. hansen was hospitalized for two months, and murphy barely left his side. afterwards, they thought they would live normal, happy lives, but they were wrong. a date gone wrong left both of them badly injured, but widely regarded around the world as heroes.

here, we have evan and connor for an interview to ask them some questions."

***

evan was sitting at the today show set, connor next to him. his arm was wrapped in a cast with connor's name sprawled across it. he was nervous and anxious beyond belief, and the world's colors got slightly brighter with the nerves.

why did i agree to do this why did i do this connor said i didn't have to why do i do this to myself??? the run-on sentence repeated in evan's mind as he waited for savannah guthrie to turn around.

connor noticed the sharpness of the colors and grabbed evan's hand tightly. "you can do this. i'm here if you need me," he whispered, and evan calmed down slightly.

"first of all, i'd like to thank you for joining us today. i know that this must be difficult for you two," savannah addressed with a smile to the boys.

"oh, it's no problem," connor replied, smiling, and evan just nodded along.

"if you could just walk me through the events after the gunshot went off. what were you feeling at first?"

"um, panic," evan exclaimed, his heart racing.

savannah laughed a bit. "that's understandable."

connor smiled and turned on his charm. "honestly, savannah, my first focus was just getting evan and i out safely. we had located the nearest exit and were almost out when evan was suddenly tackled, resulting in his broken arm -"

"which had, um, a-already been broken before, by the way," evan stammered, earning a polite laugh from savannah.

connor squeezed evan's hand in a silent expression of pride, then continued. "so, i pulled the guy off and helped evan up, but i noticed that the guy was holding a gun, and i realized that this was the gunman."

savannah nodded. "and how did you handle that? you must have been frightened - death is staring you in the face."

"at first, sure, but then he mentioned something about evan. his exact words were 'did you seriously think you could truly rescue your little boytoy?' at that point, i was just angry. i ran and tackled him. he started screaming more about evan, and at one point his gun went off - that's why i was in a wheelchair for a while. i ignored the pain, and i eventually grabbed the gun, and i leaned against the wall, holding it up to his face. he started saying things like 'you wouldn't dare', et cetera, but i just kinda glared at him," connor replied.