VIII

Three Months Until the Wedding

Langston and I hadn't talked much since I was planning the wedding. He understood that I was really busy so he didn't harass me on the issue. He went to Italy for his fitting, but I didn't spend much time with the wedding party to begin with. I stopped by his house to fill him in on everything and one of those things is giving me away.

"So... I've planned for you to give me away." I told Langston

"Um...what about dad?" he asked me

"It's my wedding and I want my big brother to give me away."

"Is this why I was apart of the fitting two months ago?"

"Yes. I knew I should've asked you before, but I figured it wouldn't be a big deal."

"Drew, I love you, but I don't think it's right for me to give you away."

"Look, Langston, I know you have a hard time picking sides, but this isn't about dad, it's about me."

"Well, me walking you down that aisle will definitely choose a side."

"Why are you making this such a big deal?"

"Who do you think he's going to mad at if I agree to do this?"

"Langston, he's always liked you more than me. It's no secret. He'll get over it."

"It's just that fathers are supposed to give their daughters away."

I took a deep breath before I snapped. I was trying to see this from Langston's point of view, but it was very hard for me.

"If you don't want to do it, that's fine. But he isn't doing it either." I said adamantly

"Then who will?" he asked confused

"Giovanni's dad will have no problem giving me away. You can keep the suit and just wear it to the wedding. I'll even have you sitting next to dad."

"That's unfair."

"No, what's unfair is that he used to hit me more than you." I rushed out

I could see the pain in Langston's eyes. I held back my tears and shook my head. I stood to my feet and grabbed my purse so I could leave.

"I'm sorry." he apologized

"It's fine." I said simply

"I'll do it."

I turned to face him.

"No, you don't have to."

"You're right. I don't have to. Just like I didn't have to give up that scholarship for you, but I did it anyway. You're my baby sister and it is your wedding. If you want me to walk you down the aisle and give you away, then I'll do it."

I looked up at him with a smile.

"Really?" I asked

"Yes. Besides, I need all the ladies to see me look good in an Italian suit." he joked

I laughed and gave him a hug.