XXIV

29 Weeks

Giovanni's trial started two weeks ago and as I promised, I was there everyday. Giovanni's family, except Giorgio was present. I sat with them and Gabi held my hand pretty much the whole time.

Giovanni always wore a different custom made suit. I gave Matteo some of his favorites to choose from.

I wasn't allowed in the court room most of the time because there were witness testimonies that I wasn't allowed to hear since I was due to testify myself.

Just as Matteo said, the prosecution subpoenaed me to testify against Giovanni. He tried to walk me through some questions that they might ask, but it was hard for him to know for sure. It was clear that they were going to fish out as much information as they could.

The witnesses that the prosecution called up were ex-employees of Giovanni's that provided circumstantial evidence of criminality, but it didn't seem convincing. Of course the prosecution stressed that they were under witness protection to emphasize that Giovanni was dangerous.

"Our next witness is Drew Amantè." The was prosecutor announced

Francesco allowed me to sit on the outside of the benches so it would be easier for me to get to the front of the room whenever it was my time to speak.

I stood slowly and held my stomach as I walked forward. It was no use in wearing clothes that hid my stomach because I was so big. I wore a long silk light blue blouse with black slacks and black flats.

The bailiff held my hand as he helped me climb the stairs onto the stand. He asked me to hold my right hand up and I swore to tell the truth. I looked over at Giovanni who held an emotionless expression. I looked away and made a note to avoid his gaze while I was up here.

"Could you state your name for the record?"

"Drew Amantè."

"What is your maiden name?"

"Drew Taylor."

"What is your relationship to the defendant?"

"I'm his wife."

"How long have you known the defendant?"

"About four years."

"How did you meet the defendant?"

"I was hired as his financial analyst in the international sector of his investment company."

"Which investment company?"

"Amanté and Company."

"What type of formal education do you possess?"

"I have a Bachelor's in accounting as well as a minor in business management. I also am a Certified Public Accountant."

"How long have you had your certifications?"

"For about six years now."

"What were you paid to do for Amanté & Co.?"

"I was paid to conduct financial analysis of other companies, find their weaknesses with their current financial plan, and simulate a new one if the company chose to switch over to Amanté & Co."

"How long did you do that?"

"I was employed as the financial adviser for about a year."

"Did you hold any other positions in Amanté & Co.?"

"Yes."

"What was it?"

"I am currently the regional director for the domestic sector of the company."