Ignite

"Piper Hayes." The abnegation man called. My heart sped up as I stood walking across the stage in my usual white shirt black jeans. I looked at Candor's glass shards repesentinng transparency. I looked at the life I was leaving behind, and then I grabbed the stainless steel knife. I observed the way the light glinted on the blade before dragging it against my palm.
My father watches me with angry eyes. He was one of the main reasons I wanted to join Dauntless, so I could get stronger to defend myself and others in my position, he was a liar, he pretended to be loving in public and around Peter but when Peter was gone at his friends house I was the subject of abuse. I have scars from him that will never fully heal. emotional scars and physical scars were very different, but they inflicted the same damage. And I had both. I looked at my father with cold eyes and a sickley sweet smile bordering on psychopathic.

You do not control me I control myself.

I let my blood fall on the hot coals savoring the sizzle of victory. The Dauntless crowd cheered loud and over zealous. I joined Peter in the back. He patted my back and handed me a bandaid. I was free. After the last name was called the Dauntless ran out the doors. I ran too running along side the blonde abnegation girl. I recognized those big brown eyes, but where had I seen them? My thoughts were halted when I started climbing the beams of the train platform. This was happening I was almost Dauntless.

I pulled myself in behind Christina who was a fellow candor she greets me in a small wave knowing I talk little. The only on still on the track was the blonde abnegation girl. Christina helps her up and I find her name. "Beatrice Prior." I introduced myself as Piper Hayes. We sit in silence trying to catch our breaths and then we hear an older Dauntless say "Get ready to jump." I looked at them and laughed. "We can jump together if you want?" I offered. I was taken up on said offer and we crashed into the gravel. I sat up my palms stung and my elbow was scratched. I looked towards the crowd Peter looked at me mouthing 'Ok?' I nodded. Okay. I joined the crowd. We were gathered in front of a human boulder. This boulder was tall enough to make me feel like a little kid(which is not saying much but he was taller than Peter.) he had black segmented thick line tattoos on the side of his neck and a maze tattoo on his right forearm. He was pale like ivory his lips were pink and full he had gages in both ears and studs above his sharp left eyebrow. He had biceps the size of my head and hard blue eyes. The way he stood with his back straight and the way he glowered over everyone gave him an air of intimidation.

When he spoke his voice was in a sort of stiff tone like a general talking to his platoon. He said the only way to get into Dauntless was by jumping through a hole in a building. A hole. In a buildings roof. Sounds safe. He looked around saying, "no one?" as none stepped forward. Beatrice volunteered to be first jumper. "Yeah stiff take it off!" I heard from far away. It was Peter as Bea took off her gray Jacket. Then he said "no put it back on!" in a fading tone. I looked over at him frowning at him. He caught my gaze then looked away. "Who's next?" the Dauntless leader with the big muscles asked. With out a word I took of in a sprint and jumped. Flipping in mid air showing off on purpose. When I landed I bounced high out of the hole before landing on a net. A dauntless member pulled down the net for me. "What's your name Candor?" he asked he was also scary looking. His eyes were also blue but a different shade. He had a stiff demeanor about him. "Piper Hayes." I said. He turned and walked away from me to yell, "SECOND JUMPER, PIPER HAYES!"

So when all of the initiates landed we were separated. Dauntlessborns with Lauren. (A/n: not sure if I remember right) we were with Four the guy that announced our names. His name is a number. I'm not sure if he was joking or not. Christina made fun of his name. He glared daggers at her and said she wasn't Candor anymore and that she needed to shut her mouth. I glared at him he caught on, "Is there a problem, Piper?" I quirked my left eyebrow out of habit and crossed my arms. "Nope." I said sarcastically. He turned us out. We went to our sleeping quarters to change out of our clothes into Dauntless black and dark red. I picked my clothes out before I changed. I stood in front of Tris as she dressed slipping her pants on under her dress. "Nice legs Stiff." Peter said and I just gaped. "Peter Hayes!" I yelled my eyes wide. "What I was just commen-" I walked over to him. "You were raised better than that!" I was scolding him. "What would mom say-" Peter looked at me with angry eyes he started stepping towards me and I stepped back. "Mom wouldn't have said anything because she was never there." my face was red now he was really angry with me I could tell because he also was turning red his eyes narrowed. We were twins but he was older by four minutes, he often thought that he could boss me around because of it. I turned on my heal and dressed in silence. I hid behind a corner and got dressed I hoped no one saw. I was a little self conscious about my body. I prefred to wear baggy t-shirts I had lucked out by finding a dark red crew neck T-tshirt. I paired it with skinny black leggings and a pair of lace up black boots. We threw our clothes in a burn pile on our way to the cafeteria. I thought that was wasteful we could give them to the factionless or back to the factions but nope.

In the cafeteria I sat by Chris and Bea, and Will and Al. I watched her as she grabbed a hamburger patty with a fork.
I tapped her shoulder. "Tris, you do it like this." I said as I constructed the burger for her. "Its better if you put ketchup between the patty and the bun." I told her. We started talking about our old factions, Four scolded us. "I don't want to hear about your old factions, you're Dauntless now." he said. "Yes mom." I said in a fake submissive tone. He glared at me. The action was Reciprocated. Tris spoke up, "What faction were you from?" she asked and Four glared at her. "What makes you think you can talk to me?" he snapped. "Must be because you're so approachable." she said 'yeah, as approachable as a bed of nails.' I thought. The first stage started tomorrow. I was anticipating the fights.

We were practicing blocking and dodging when the Dauntless leader with the neck tattoos came in, he cleared his throat. "Enough of that. Lets have some real fun." he said with a sadistic look in his eyes. Four cut his eyes at the leader, "Eric-" Four was cut off by the icy glare that The leader, Eric gave him. We weren't in even numbers I noticed as I looked around.