Book one: Chapter One

TRIGGER WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT

I laid in the small, dark room alone. I couldn't remember how long I had been in there. Zhao had left me to die, or so I had hoped. I had on the disgusting outfit he always made me wear, and I felt less than human. The small top barely fit me, exposing my breasts and the bottom was just as bad. It had been days since I'd eaten or even come into contact with another human being. Occasionally I would hear a soldier walk past, murmuring about me.

I screamed for help, waiting, hoping that someone would let me out. Hoping that someone would save me from this horrible man.

But no one did.

No one did, until fate happened to put Zuko aboard Zhao's ship.

I knew the ship had stopped and that something big was happening. I had no idea where we were or how long we would be there. I heard groups of soldiers walk by every few minutes, and they seemed to be headed to dinner. I kept hearing them talk about a certain Prince Zuko, the name with which I was very familiar.

Why Zhao had invited him on board was beyond me, maybe it had been to humiliate him. But I was thankful because if he hadn't, I would have died on that ship.

Before they all sat down to eat dinner, Zhao came into my little room, and when the light hit me I felt as if I was going to go blind.

"Are you ready to listen to me now? I'll let you out if you do," he said, smiling crookedly at me.

"Leave me alone," I spat, backing as far from him as I could, but the chains restricted me from getting very far.

"Come on now," he said, taking a step closer. He bent down, grabbing my cheeks with his hand and squeezing, "You are my wife, after all," he kissed me violently, and I struggled to get away from him. My efforts did not make a difference, the man was strong and I was chained. There was nothing that I could do.

He pulled my top down and began to kiss each of my breasts. I moaned uncomfortably, still trying to get away.

"You don't want to do that," he said sharply. I looked at him, tears filling my eyes as I nodded. I wondered how long it would be until this happened again.

"I'll take your chains off if you're a good girl, okay?" He said, moving his hand toward my crotch.

I nodded, sobbing as I felt him touch me. He used his other hand to take the chains off.
I felt his fingers pull what could barely be considered underwear off, and he slid his fingers inside me. I whimpered, squirming as he thrust them in and out of me.

"That's it, you're such a good girl," he said, removing his trousers. I watched as he pulled his pants off over his hardened member. Not again, I thought. Just let me die.

I shook my head as he laid down on top of me, screaming no over and over. He covered my mouth with his hand and positioned himself on top of me.

"You'll feel good, I promise," he said.

I felt him push it in, and I screamed and struggled with all my might but to no avail. Tears now streamed down my cheeks as he thrust into me, a burning sensation filled my lower half. There was nothing on Earth worse than this. Death would have been a preferable alternative.

"It won't hurt after a while, you just have to get used to it, is all," he said, smiling and kissing my neck.

He began to thrust in and out of me, slowly at first but he increased his speed quickly. The pain was bad, but I'm not sure it was worse than how I had felt after he came inside me, chaining me back up and leaving me exposed.

"I have a dinner to attend, I hope you'll understand," he said, smiling that evil smile that he always would before he left me in the room again. Each time seemed to get worse, and I felt more and more hopeless as the days passed. I wasn't sure how long it had been since he locked me in here. My body changed so much, and I became weak and skinny. I felt like a ghost of my former self. I didn't even know what had happened to the woman I was before I married Zhao.

...

~ 10 years ago ~

"Dad, do you think I'll get married someday?" I asked my father as we walked to town together.

He was quiet for a moment, then looked down at me and grinned.

"Why would you ask such a silly question? Of course you will, you are beautiful and very very special," he said. He rustled my hair with his knuckles and I laughed. He always knew how to reassure me, and I was thankful to have such a great dad.

"I can't wait," I said, grinning.

As we entered the town, I looked around for the boy I had always had a secret crush on. I didn't know his name, because I didn't leave home much, but I did know he was pretty cute.

My father began to go from stand to stand, picking out vegetables for dinner. He brought his hand to his chin and scratched as he wondered what he had forgotten. "Oh well, I suppose your mother will be mad at me for something when we get home anyway," he chuckled.

I wasn't paying much attention to my father - my mind was elsewhere as he browsed the market. I scanned the area until I saw the boy. He had long black hair and eyes that looked like honey. He was running around with a girl, playing in the street with some other children, and practicing their firebending. It looked like they were having a lot of fun, and I was wishing that I could join them.

"Daddy, do you know who that is?" I asked, tugging on his shirt.

"Hm?" he lifted up his head. "Ah, yes. That's Prince Zuko and Princess Azula. They are Fire Lord Azulon's grandchildren," he said.

I nodded, watching intently as they continued to play. Eventually, Azula tripped Zuko and he fell to the ground. She laughed as he laid on the ground, making fun of him for not being a better firebender.

"This is why dad hates you!" she said, laughing.

"That's not true Azula, you're a liar!" Zuko retorted.

They argued for a few minutes before their mother came to retrieve them.

"What have I told you two about playing in the streets? You are only to play in the courtyard where someone can keep an eye on you, we don't want you to get hurt!" she said.

Both of the children nodded, and Zuko picked himself up off the ground. We made eye contact as he stood up, and I blushed and looked away. I watched as they disappeared into the palace.

"You two would make a great couple someday," my father joked, patting my head and smiling. I laughed.

"It would be so awesome if I married a prince!" I said enthusiastically.

I followed along as he gathered the rest of the food and paid for it. He took me to some other shops around town to look at a few things, and by the time we were done, it was dusk. I held his hand as we walked down the road back to our house. The whole time I thought about Zuko and hoped I would see him again.

...

I laid on the floor, tears trailing down my face. How nice it would have been to marry Zuko and not Zhao. Maybe all of this could have been avoided, and right now I would be surrounded by family and friends, laughing and enjoying our lives together.

For a while, I sat there feeling bad for myself, but eventually, I noticed something - Zhao had forgotten to lock the door behind him. This was my chance to finally escape.