Book One: Chapter Four

I looked at Zuko, and he looked proud of himself. I wasn't going to stand around and do nothing about this, something needed to be done. I can try and get him to listen to me, but I don't think it's going to make much difference... I won't know if I don't try, though. I followed behind him as he headed to the captain's quarters.

"Zuko, please listen to me, this is wrong," I pleaded.

He rolled his eyes. "You don't understand. You don't know me. I need to do this."

I walked to him, taking his hand gently. He tried to pull it away but I tightened my grip.

"I may not know you well, but I know enough to know that you know this isn't the right thing. I hope you can see that," I said, looking into his eyes. They were beautiful, almost mesmerizing. He stared back for a moment before breaking eye contact and storming off under the deck.

"You don't know me," I heard him mumble angrily.

I followed him down the stairs and to his bedroom. When I entered, he was holding the necklace in his hands. His eyes were tearing up and it took him a moment to notice I was standing there.

"Did you go through my things?" He asked, wiping the tears from his eyes and holding up the locket. His voice was low and harsh.

"I'm sorry. I - I was just curious. I didn't mean to intrude," I said, trembling. I clenched my fists, I was terrified that he would get angry and attack me. I felt myself get dizzy, and the next thing I knew my body hit the floor, and everything went black.

...

~ 2 years ago ~

I was standing in the bedroom waiting for Zhao. He had been on an important mission, or so he said and told me to wait for him. Hours had passed by now and I was starting to worry. I laid on the bed and tried to think of pleasant things to keep myself occupied. I dozed off after a half-hour or so.

The door opened loudly, and I sat up quickly. Zhao smiled crookedly and stumbled over to the bed. I could smell alcohol on his breath when he spoke.

"I missed you, beautiful. Those other girls aren't nearly as gorgeous as you," he mumbled. He got into the bed and tried to hug me.

I sighed, pushing him away. "I thought you had an important mission today. I didn't think it involved getting drunk. Did you sleep with someone else?" I asked sadly.

He pulled me closer to him. "How many times have I told you they don't mean anything to me? They just keep me occupied. I always come back to you," he said, almost angrily.

My eyes began to tear up. I quickly wiped them and wrapped my arms around him. "Please don't do this anymore. I need you, I'm your wife. I'm tired of being alone constantly, I don't want to be jealous of other women."

He pushed me away and furrowed his brow. "You don't tell me what to do," he said lowly.

"I'm not, I'm telling you how I feel," I said quietly.

"I don't care how you feel. You don't ever ask how I feel, I need this. I come home to a bitch of a wife every night and half the time I can't even get you to fuck me."

"I'll just sleep in the guest room tonight," I said, getting up off of the bed.

"I don't think so," he said, grabbing me and throwing me back onto the bed. He ripped off my nightgown and threw it to the floor. He groped my breasts hard, to the point where it became painful.

"Zhao, please stop. That hurts!" I said, hitting his hand away.

He slapped me in the face. "You don't get to tell me what to do!"