13. Safe Haven

We arrived to a small cabin in an isolated area, nothing but tall trees and dry dirt for miles.
"This is where all of the projects hang?"

"Calm down, Adrian," Dyllon spoke.
He walked into the cabin and we followed him into the dump.

He flicked a lever on the right side of the wall and a hatch on the floor opened up.

"Well damn. Is this the rabbit hole or something?"

"I don't get the reference," I told Ian.

Ian shrugged and followed Dyllon down the ladder.
My shirt was really baggy so I fixed it, tucking the bottom into my pants. I hopped in after them and landed in somewhere which was nowhere. "Guys?"

My foot got caught in something and I held my hands in front of me so I didn't fall flat on my face. "Ai, ow."
I got up again and rubbed my knees. "I shouldn't have waited to go in. Stupid shirt."

A metallic taste filled my mouth and I realized I cut my lip. "Stupid Cari..."
I wiped my lips and trudged to where I thought they would've headed.

The sound of dripping water and my footstep echoed in the empty space. It was creepy, like something out of a horror movie. Dean is some thing out of a horror movie.
A shiver went down my spine and I shook it off. I'm here to where they said it was safe, I'll be good. They won't have the high probability of finding me anymore.

"Guys? I can't see any-WHOOP!"
Something tugged at my arm and I was dragged into light.

"Cari, is that you?"

I blinked and tried to adjust my eyes to the light. "Who are you?"
My vision returned and before me stood a girl with golden locks and bright brown eyes.
"Cari, it's me, Dilila Monroe. I'm your best friend."

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Dilila walked me over to a well hidden door and opened it to reveal a modern day town hidden under the ground.
"Woah. Everyone lives here?"

"Yeah they do. We live like any normal society would, expect underground. It's harder to track us that way."
She looked over at me. "I mean, you're the one who thought this was a good idea. Don't you remember?"

The sad look in her eyes told me she was telling the truth. But I don't remember anything about this or about her.
"Where's Dyl and Ian?," I spoke to change the topic.

"Ah, they've already made themselves comfortable while you were gone. But before I tale you to see them, you should probably meet up with the chief."
I nodded my head to indicate I agreed.

I waved at passerby who looked extremely happy to see me, some confused.
I know I've not been here for too long but I know that they know something's more wrong with me than with them.
I pushed the uncertainty aside and followed Dilila into a formal looking house with flowers marking each side of the path in.

"Chief! It's Dilila. I've brought Cari Lynn to see you."
I heard a few footsteps and soon I was tackled by someone with bright hair.
"Cari, I thought they killed you."

"S-Someone tried to kill me?"

"Ah. Probably not the best way to start introductions."

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

"Sorry for the sudden outburst. I'm Chase Jax, the chief."

"Yeah, my guy is about almost 25 so he was fit of age but not of mind." Chase glared at his girlfriend, her replying with an innocent grin.

"Anyways, form what we know, the conductors of the Projects wiped memory of anything from your past time."

"Yeah, which is why I have something to ask of you."
He rose his eyebrows. "What of?"

"Did I... Did I have a brother?"

The couple glanced at each other before Dilila answered. "It's best you don't think about this."

"You didn't say no."
Her fingers twitched. "Cari, look. It's just that you don't want to know about the guy. Trust me, your better off not knowing."

"Your fingers are moving in a very abnormal way, are you okay-"
"Fine!... I'm fine. Look, I gotta go..."

I grabbed her wrist and made her turn to me. "What's up with my brother? I want to know."

A sudden sensation of heat hit my fingertips and I pulled back, still glaring at her. "Cari, I am telling you. You do not want to know him."
She was saying it in a sincere tone, but it sounded like pity. "Was he that bad?"

"Cari," Chance spoke. "Don't ever mention your brother. He's an enemy and that's all you need to know."
"Was he not an omnipotence-"
"No," he cut me off. "Where your staying will be at is three blocks from here and don't tell people what has been spoken here."

Dilila spoke up. "You must know that you are one of the strongest Projects so that's why they wiped your memories. Leaving your bro out of it is a good thing."

"If you bring anyone from the Project creators and assistance into this, everyone us gonna shun you. Maybe even kill you so don't ever talk about this again. Now exit, please." Chance pointed at the door.

I nodded and headed out the door. Something wet slid down my face and I tapped my cheek, feeling water. Tears?
I wiped them away but the unbearable urge to breath was continuously friend. It was very difficult, to breath, for sins reason.

A ball hit my feet and I saw a boy with brown hair chasing after it. My vision was blurred and I couldn't make out the face that well but I could still see the green in his eyes.
"Ri?"

I coughed but didn't respond. "Were you crying?"
I laughed then looked up at him. "Was it obvious?"

"You were? That's something I've never seen before."

"And you never will. It's not happening again."

I started to pace forward but I really didn't know where I was going. I heard Ian calling after me. The streets were dark, it was that time every everyone slept but you couldn't really tell why time of day it was.
My breathing became erratic so I paused to catch my breath but Ian caught up to me.
Curse these weak legs.

"Ri, what's with the sudden mood change? You never act like this."
"Maybe it's just a hidden side of me."

He attempted to touch my shoulder but I moved away from his reach.
"I can't cry for dumb reasons like this. I've got to save it for more important things."

Ian grabbed my chin and lifted my head so I was facing him directly eye to eye.
"Like what, Ri? What would make a girl like you cry?"

My eyes began to get teary again but I held them in.

"For when you leave me."

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Sorry for the fudged up chapter. I'm in Texas and my head is literally pounding against my skull right now due to the plane ride.
Best of luck for the next one.

Lots of luck and other stuff 🍀