16. Like a Good Sister

"Go kill yourself but before you do that, I respectfully ask you to unlock these shackles please."

Gale scoffed. "As if I'd do that. Sorry sis, but you're going to die."

I frowned. "No I'm not. They need me."

"Not anymore. They're gonna suck the life outta you and Mr.Hades and their gonna torture that Adrian guy into submission."

So I'm gonna die. Wow, I'm glad they told me beforehand. But guess they made it a whole lot better for anxiety over here.

I coughed and water splattered all over the floor. My throat was scratchy and achy and my stomach felt like a furnace.

"Have fun with your 24 hours of misery."

"Wait!," I managed to say.

Gale paused, his back facing me. "I dont have time for this-"
"Why? You don't have to do this. I can take you with me and we can escape from this p-"

"Don't tell me I can escape with you. You left me here and they tortured me even more than they did before."

"I don't know anything about that, Gale. I don't remember anything. They erased my memories."

"Did they?" He walked over to me and knelt to where I was sitting. "If you can tell me what you last told me before you left me, I'll let you escape."

Last told him? Last told him... Last told him....
"I-nnn... Give me three hours. Come back then and I'll have my answer."

"If not," he took out a needle and twisted my arm so he could find a vein. "You die early."

He jabbed the needle into my arm and I bit my lip to hold in the urge to scream.
"D-Deal...B-big bro."

His eyes widened and I pulled my lips into a grin. "A-as if I wo-ouldn't know thaaa..."

My eyes became heavy and I drifted off to sleep.

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

"Gale, their gonna do something really bad, we have to go."

"But what if they catch us, we can't go back easily. And what're we gonna do?"

His eyes were filled with worry but I saw a flash of hope in them.
"Bro, please. We need to do this."

He looked around, then back at me.
"Alright. But they're especially keeping a close guard on you because you've attempted some dangerous stunts numerous times."

"Don't ya worry bro. I've got me more than I've got you. But I love you so I'll never leave your side."

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Why...
Why did I betray him like that?

No wonder he hesitates, because he can't trust me anymore.
Well, I wouldn't trust myself either.

The doors slid open and I started to cry.
"Gale! I'm sorry! I'll never ever-"

I shut my mouth when two people walked in, neither of them my younger brother.
"Three hours..."

My eyes widened when I heard the last words.
"... 47 minutes."

That bitch... He stuck that needle in my arm and I fell asleep for too long.
"No! Wait! I didn't want to sleep for that long, I have the answer. Gale, I have the answer!"

"Gale is busy at the moment attending to the other two traitors."

"I'm not a fucking traitor, I'm his sister."

"Family relationships have no importance when it's breaking the laws."

"I dont GIVE A DAMN!! GALE, GALE DON'T FUCKING MESS WITH ME!!!"

I tried to pry the shackles off of me but the people held me down.
"The needle!"

"Not the needle! Not the fuckin-"

A sharp pain made its way through my body and I felt myself moving but I couldn't see.

Everything was just a blank sheet.

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Adrian's POV

"Where is Cari?"

Her brother didn't answer, just took the metal stick and tapped my head.
"That's all the beating for today. Be a good boy and just do what they want you to do, okay? Dont make it as hard as Cari did for herself."

"Ri doesn't make it hard on herself, she finds the easy way out."

"The simplest ways aren't always the best. Besides, she's probably dead by now."

"She's not dead."

"Yeah, we made a deal. She's dead now so forget about her."

"No she's fucking not! Don't lie to me, that's a cheap move."

Gale rose his eyebrows, no sign of fabrication hinting in his eyes.
"Sorry bro. I've got to get to seeing Mr.Hades so bye."

"You're lying. You're fucking lying..."
I mumbled as he exited the room.

"Ri, where are you?," I spoke quietly.

"Right here."
I looked up and to my surprise, Cari was standing by the door, her hair a mess And her eyes a dark black compared to her usual brown ones.

"Ri?"

"Yeah," she spoke, leaning against the wall for support. "Adrian, I'm dying."

I stayed silent. So it's true...

"I thought I could change my brother, I really did."

"It's okay Ri. I thought the same way with my bro."

"Ian," she cried. "I dont wanna die. I love you and I don't want to lose you."

"Cari, you won't. We will get you help and we will escape."

"No Ian."
She stumbled over towards me and sat down, not facing me because she didn't know where I was.

"First it's my eyes. Then all of my limbs will go whack and have the intention to kill me. Even my own body thinks I'm not worth living anymore."

"Then make it think you're worth living."
I grabbed her hand and let her feel the scars that were imprinted on my skin.

"They beat you bad."

"It's really not as bad as it feels."

"You're such a brave boy, aren't you?"

"Don't tease me."

We both sighed and I gripped her hand tightly.
"I'm gonna miss you Ri."

"I'm gonna miss you too. But it's not like I can do anything about it."

"..." I stared into her black pupils and she stared back, I knew she couldn't see my worried eyes and the tears dropping down my face.

She moved her hand to my cheek and softly kissed my head.
"I love you, Ian."

I sniffed and hugged her.

"I love you too."

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

The story's not over yet. Stay tuned for the next chapter.

Lots of luck and other stuff 🍀