Part Nine: Mourning

Frisk's POV:

It had been a week since Inana was taken. Nightmare hadn't returned, but everything was in chaos, everyone was one edge, paranoia filling the air.

I groggily sat up from the mattress, looking around, grabbing the flashlight as I saw something in the corner. I laughed as the light told me that it was just a coat, not him.

Holding my heart for a second I laughed sadly, thinking about how Inana would have walked over and put the coat on, doing some sort of zombie move. Maybe she would have pulled it down and told off the coat. Maybe--I sighed, standing up. I headed downstairs, checking around the corner before heading to the railing, which I also checked over.

I looked at Undyne, Alphys, Ophe, and Itia closely, making sure that it was really them. They all looked like they were lost, thinking over everything that had led up to this. I screamed as someone came up from behind me and everyone downstairs stood up, only for me to whip around to see Toriel.

"Sorry, my child," She whispered, looking a little frightened.

"I-It's alright," I replied, nervously scratching my head, "I-I'm just on edge."

"We all are," Itia called from the level below.

I nodded slowly, agreeing with her.

"I HEARD A SCREAM--WHAT HAPPENED--DO I NEED TO FIGHT SOMEONE?" Papyrus leaped out of his room holding a frying pan, checking around.

"N-No, just a little on edge. Toriel just scared me a little bit, heh."

"You have all the reason to fear, Frisk." A familiar voice spoke and I turned around slowly yet quickly, only to see Nightmare standing behind me.

I screamed and stumbled back, right into a pit, where his tentacles wrapped around me, holding me down.

"A little friend of ours is going to be visiting soon," He smiled mischievously, "Don't be scared when they arrive."

I sat up in a cold sweat, looking around the room, grabbing a flashlight and double checking my surroundings. I slowly stood up, looking out the window at the total darkness of the night, stars blurred behind the barrier. Sighing, I headed outside of Sans' bedroom, checking around before advancing to the living room.

"Can't sleep either?" Etrix asked, making me jump a little bit.

I shook my head sadly, coming to sit down beside her.

"I miss Inana," She whispered, her voice a bit hoarse. I then realized that she had been crying, her hand damp from wiping her tears, voice hoarse and a little shaky from the physical effect this kind of sadness had on people.

I laughed sadly, quietly replying, "I miss her too. I keep on thinking about what she would have done this past week. How she would have been here to do something ridiculous to cheer us up, on purpose or not. I miss her laugh, her jokes, her personality."

I paused for a short moment before continuing, "I should have taken her away. Sans has even said so. . . I should have just taken her hand and led her out of there. Anyone would have been the hero in that situation."

Ophe sat up next to us, not saying anything at the sight of her friends crying. Instead, she listened silently, bringing her legs close to her.

Extrix was shaking alongside me, both of us now in tears, "It's going to get better, right? Everything's going to work out, just like in the stories we're told?"

"I don't think so, Extrix. I don't know how something like that could happen at this point."

She laughed sadly and took me into an embrace, a strong grip from her arms around me, "What are we going to do? When's he coming back? When's she coming back?"

"She might never come back," I thought sadly.

Ophe stood up and walked over to sit beside me, putting an arm over my shoulders, "Don't think like that, Frisk. There's always a good side to any story."

"Guys," Jaylynn whispered from the top of the stairs, Itia beside her.

All we could do was look at them, trying to muffle the sounds of us crying. They quickly came downstairs and sat with us, not saying anything, but leaning against us. We were all leaning against each other, crying softly.

"We have to stay strong for her," Itia managed to say, "We need to live for her. That's what she would have wanted."

I nodded, not wiping at the two more tears that fell on my face. Before we knew it, the sun peeked over the trees outside, letting us know it was morning. It was time to try again. We all shifted from our mourning on the couch and went our separate ways. I headed out the door, something which I had been avoiding for the last few days.

I walked a few steps away from the porch, already feeling shaky. I looked around the pretty empty streets, only the early wakers up and about. I watched a scene from a few feet away; an armless monster tripped over snow and another monster, also without arms, laughed, helping him up after a few seconds. They sported the same striped shirt, just different colors. They must've been siblings, or friends, or something.

Gently laughing I looked to the other side of the pathway, where a family headed out towards Waterfall, baskets, and blankets in their arms, laughing all the way they went. A family picnic.

Everything was so beautiful. I had never seen the beauty in simple things, not after what had happened with Chara. I had never realized how pure the things were around me, how every little thing was the butterfly effect to some people. I had never realized the small things that could make myself or anyone smile; like those two kids roughing housing, or that family going for a picnic, or the imperfection of the trees in front of me.

The world around me was so imperfectly beautiful. I wondered how I'd ever thought of it as fixable.

"Frisk! Frisk! You need to come inside, right now!" Ophe shouted from the doorway, her eye's wide.

"What is it?" I asked, frantic and confused all at the same time.

"It's Inana!"