Part Eight: Trade?

Inana's POV:

Frisk lead the way through the Ruins, which had new growth over the old, that done presumably by Toriel when she was here.

"How do we know Nightmare took him?" I asked, whispering the question.

"He wouldn't just disappear at a time like this. And if he has, then he won't be able to again, because I'll kill him." She kept her eyes on the path ahead, going around every corner with caution.

"We're almost there. Be prepared for anything."

I nodded, bringing the frying pan close to me, Frisk bringing her knife close to her.

"Welcome to the party!" A voice sounded, the same voice as Ink's.

I ran around the corner excited to meet Ink in person, but then stumbled back and fell back as I was greeted by the figure of Nightmare, who was holding Sans, a knife at his throat.

"Sans!" Frisk exclaimed, sounding very distressed.

"You. . . You were Ink in my dream!" I made the realization, "You lied to me!"

"I lie to everyone! It's just the fact that I'm best at it." He smiled.

"You better let him go!" Frisk shouted, knife poised.

"And why would I do that?" He narrowed his eyes at Frisk, still smiling.

Frisk let out a low exhale, and then calmly said, "What do you want?"

He raised his pupils to the roof as if he was thinking, "What about a trade?"

She frowned and we made quick eye contact, both equally confused.

"What would you want to trade?"

"Her," He pointed at me, "For him." He gestured to Sans.

My eye's widened and I stumbled back a little more, "W-What?!"

Frisk frowned, her eye's also wide, and didn't move a muscle.

"Her life for his. Don't you love this skeleton? Don't you want to save his life? Be the little hero that you always are?"

She looked at me, then back at Sans. I thought over this, thought about the impact it would make if I disappeared, the impact that it would make if he disappeared, what it would do to the people around us, as quickly as I could, not wanting to reach the end of thinking time.

"Tic tock," Nightmare sounded.

"Inana," Frisk said quietly, "I-It's up to you."

I took in a deep breath, closing my eyes, thinking about how to go about this. I weighed what would happen. I thought about my friends, I thought about the other Gods. I thought about the guilt.

"What'll it be, Inana? Deal or no deal?"

"Deal."

Nightmare dropped Sans, who coughed and then Nightmare hovered over to me. I froze on the spot.

"Pleasure to do business with you." He said to Frisk, and I felt his skeletal hand on my shoulder before the world disappeared into darkness.

Frisk's POV:

I ran over to the spot where they had disappeared, calling out Inana's name over and over again, shaking and crying. What the hell was I doing, leaving it up to her? Of course, she would have done the noble thing!

"F-Frisk. . ." I heard a voice rasped, and then remembered Sans.

"Sans! A-Are you okay?" I turned my attention to him quickly, lightheaded now.

"I-I'm fine. But we n-need to go, n-now. H-He's going to be c-c-coming back. A-And he's a-a-after you."

"What? Why?"