THE NUTCRACKER

December 22, 2021
New York, New York

Do you ever have those days that you can't help but think back on what your goals were when you were younger? Have you ever accomplished something you always dreamed about, but when you're living it, it seems like it's not real and for whatever reason it just doesn't make any sense because you don't know when your dreams started becoming a reality? If so, that's exactly how Jimin is feeling now that he's standing behind the dark red curtain, listening carefully to the live orchestra and waiting for the curtain to rise.

He feels the vile in his stomach beginning to rise, nervousness overtakes his body and although he doesn't consider himself religious in any way, he still prays to whoever is up there to please let him end the performance without any mistakes.

The soft sound of the violins echo through the theater, there's no applause nor whispers, meaning that the curtain is about to go up.

The first young ballerina opens the show, her beautiful white dress portraying the innocence of Christmas flows gracefully as she spins around holding the wooden Nutcracker in her arms.

Jimin stares in awe. Ever since he was little he used to watch the performances on the computer with his mom, never actually had the opportunity to see it live, and now he can't believe he's actually playing the main part.

He watches from behind the curtain as the scene where Fritz takes the Nutcracker from Clara and breaks it into a million pieces as an act of jealousy. Jimin's heart shatters, he's utterly touched because of how much emotion the ballerina portrays when she picks up the broken doll and falls asleep in the middle of the empty stage.

The curtain falls and the first act ends.

Backstage is hectic, the ballerinas changing out of their dresses and changing into a different outfit, the prima ballerina playing Clara walks up to Jimin and asks him if he's ready. Jimin nods, grabbing the cardboard head of the Nutcracker and putting it over his head, he rolls his ankles around and the curtain rises once again.

Jimin's anxiety dissipates once he steps out to the stage, his body moves gracefully over the floor, and he executes his role as perfectly as it should be. The scene escalates when Clara notices she 'shrunk' and that the Nutcracker (Jimin), along with the rest of the toys around the tree have come to life. Ballerinas dressed as mice fill the stage, another dancer playing the role of The Mouse King leads his army of toy soldiers across the stage, ready to fight the army of mice.

Jimin knows his part is coming, it's when the Mouse King corners the Nutcracker and battles him one on one. Jimin moves like water across the stage, takes out a fake sword from his belt and swings it near the Mouse King though in the end, he knows that he doesn't stand a chance.

The Nutcracker and his army of mice can't go on any longer, and get captured by the Mouse King and his soldiers.

Jimin sits inside of a cage, and watches as Clara throws her slipper at the Mouse King, hitting him right on the head. The king falls to the floor, and the mice run away carrying the lifeless body of the Mouse King with them.

The curtain drops yet again, and the cage goes up, freeing Jimin from inside. He quickly runs backstage to get rid of the bulky head, and changing his outfit into red tights and a white jacket along with thin boots.

This is Jimin's personal favorite part, when the Nutcracker finally turns into a prince and takes Clara on a journey to the land of snow.

The curtains goes up again and act two begins. It is mostly acting and not a lot of dancing, Jimin follows through without mistakes, and he can't help feeling proud of himself.

He glanced through the crowd for a second until he sees him.

 Jimin smiles, his heart feels like it's about to leap out of his chest, he wants to just go up to him and hug him but he can't, not yet at least

The next act is a little tougher, most of his rehearsals included learning the dances for this scene. It is when The Nutcracker and Clara go to The Land of The Sweets, where they meet the Sugar Plum Fairy who rewards them with a series of dances after hearing about the battle with the Mouse King.

Jimin is able to carry on with the Spanish Dance, the Arabian Dance, the Russian Dance, the Chinese Dance, the Mirliton Dance and when it's time for The Waltz of Flowers dance, he feels something snap.

The pain shoots up from his ankle and goes up to his thigh. The pain is excruciating, yet he plasters on his best smile, and ends the dance beautifully.

He gracefully walks out of the stage and once he's out of the view, he lands face first on the ground.

The last thing he saw were the golden tones of the theater, and the way everything shone in front of his eyes.

Everything after is a blur.