Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"I feel like that's entirely unnecessary but if you do I can probably fix her," Life said squinting thoughtfully at Gwen. "I mean it'd really hurt but it could be done."

"You wouldn't stop him?" Tosh asked exasperated. Life and Death looked at each other begrudgingly.

"Well to be fair if we were like 'normal' immortal powerful beings she'd already be dead," Life mulled plopping herself back in her original seat. "No offense hun, but that mouths going to get you in trouble. I didn't exactly appreciate being told off when I was trying to give a gift. Also, I admit that I wouldn't be able to really stop him unless I wanted to kill him. And although I wouldn't mind sending him to the future right up to when the sun is about to explode, I can really only try to fix the damage he's done."

"Yeah, and she's an insufferable asshole but she's family." Death added.

"Family you just sent to the bloody civil war." Life said under her breath.

"So might I inquire as to what just happened?" Ianto said carefully.

"I like this one," Death said turning to Life. "I approve." He nodded at Jack who's face was the picture of bewilderment.

"I came to save some lives," Death said in a sour tone.

"I was looking at the wrong dimension apparently," Life said rolling her eyes. "Doesn't make much of a difference now though. I mean maybe for Toshiko. Apparently Toshiko would be in the middle of saving Owen from a radiation explosion when she is shot and subsequently unable to help. I forget who shoots her though, it was either Mr. Harkness' ex partner or his estranged brother. Which judging from the looks in your faces he hasn't mentioned yet so I'm going to shut up now."

"Nice one, sis."

"You have a brother?" Ianto exclaimed.

"So... You're sure he's not dead?" Jack asked carefully.

"Nah, mate I'd remember a face like that, bit of a looker. But he does hate you."Death said causing Life to elbow him in the gut.

"Does he know I'm sorry?"

"I don't know," Life said turning to address Death. "Do you know when John found him?"

"No but I could probably get P. T. to look it up."

"I owe you one. Well actually you owe me like a lot so we'll just take one off of that tally."

"Would someone like to explain what's going on here?" Owen asked.

"Hmm alright I'll give you the run down. Jack's brother was taken by these creatures who then took young Grey to their land or planet or whatever, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. They then proceeded to torture him there for the rest of his adolescence and adult life until Captain John finds Grey and releases him not knowing he's Jack's brother. Skip forward a bit and Grey comes up with a diabolical plan to make Jack suffer through the same pain he went through and also destroy Cardiff. He implants this bomb like device in John's arm and includes him in his plans. As Cardiff is being destroyed John travels backwards in time with Jack unwillingly in tow. This is where it gets a bit confusing."

"Jack is overjoyed to see his brother and doesn't know of the incredible hostility and hatred Grey has towards him," Jack slumps down in his seat holding his head in his hands while Ianto rubs his back soothingly. "Grey tells Jack of the horrors he went through and proceeds to bury him alive where Cardiff will be built in some hundreds of years. John though, unwilling to see the man he still loved suffer an eternity of pain threw in a locator ring. Skip forward to the early 1900's and Torchwood has just been set up. They locate the ring, track and dig up Jack. Unwilling to risk running into his past self who was off gallivanting god knows where he has the Torchwood team freeze his body to be defrosted on the day that he was taken." Life pauses and sighs.