V

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.  

~

  Your touch, your skin, where do I begin?

No words can explain, the way I'm missing you

Deny this emptiness, this hole that I'm inside  

~

"Teleportation isn't a wise use of my powers." Kristos sighed. "Especially since I'm still suffering for my actions for letting you tap into my power reserves from several years ago."

"Please?" Kendra clenched her fist. "You're the only I know we can go to without risk. You're no longer the Vasilakis' butler, so we won't be putting them in danger. We need a base for us to plan our next move, and I'd rather not do it on the run. Your presence alone will be enough to make these creatures of the Underworld wary to approach. A reaper of your...magnitude is very beneficial for us."

Kristos dragged a hand down his face. "Alright. Where are you?"

"I'm on the outskirts of the Sicilian Anosova residence." Kendra prompted. "Please come fast."

The gravity defying waterfall cut short and Kendra collapsed. Tempest and I caught her by her arms. 

"Goddess," Tempest muttered. "She's burning."

I noticed the bead of sweat along the back of his neck. "So are you. Which is...strange. Because I don't feel burned out at all."

Kristos flashed above us, landing on one knee in front of Kendra. He tucked his shoulder into her stomach, lifting up to toss her over his shoulder. "Hold onto me tight."

I fisted the fabric of Kristos' white shirt as we spiralled into nothingness.

The black hole feeling was repeated as we stumbled out into a mansion. 

"Welcome to my house." Kristos muttered. 

He didn't really sound that happy about it. 

"Is Kendra going to be okay?" I asked, reaching forward to touch her cheek. 

Kristos laid her across the couch in front of the burning stone fireplace. "She needs time to recover. Being around that much miasma can be very difficult to stifle, especially for a hybrid like her. She has no Underworld blood running in her, and with the instability of her sister's power, it becomes hard to maintain focus."

He straightened and then pointed behind me. "Your wolf boy is about to collapse as well."

As if on cue, Tempest staggered. I caught him around the waist. Bracing my weight on my calves, I was able to support him enough to hobble over to a parallel couch. 

Kristos clucked his tongue. "Just like Kendra, pushing his limits. He knows that his power is dangerous yet uses it anyways."

I cradled the back of his neck before slipping a decorative pillow underneath it. 

Kristos cupped his jaw. "Okay. Come. I need your help. We need to fix these two up."

I followed him wordlessly, trying to take note of everything he did. The most I knew from Kristos is that he aided my parents in the war, had a gaping hole in his stomach that wasn't bleeding or even scabbed, and he felt fiercely for Kendra.

"So why aren't you the Vasilakis' butler anymore?" I inquired, studying the subtle flinch he made as we entered the kitchen.

He pulled out several herbs and a mortar and pestel before answering. "A while back, I had helped bring Faye, Jazz and Draver back from Asgard. Kendra was able to tap into my power reserves, which are usually blocked off when assigned to a family. I was shocked that it had worked, and later realized that the shock was warranted because Kendra had actually broken past the seal placed by Grimm. As a punishment, Grimm removed me from the Vasilakis family. It's kind of like a contract we make with each family, and the restriction of our power reserves has to do with us not purposefully killing our assigned family to harvest our souls. Since I'm specifically a servant Reaper, I have to be tied to a family to feed off of. Without them, I slowly die. Grimm wants me to face repercussions for my actions, so in addition to that, I have to repent for a few years by not using my powers."