Chapter 5: No Pulse

As I made my way through the huge crowd, I could see who it was. Savannah. When I saw her on the ground I felt frozen. Who would do this to her and why?! Instead of investigating myself, I ran up to my best friend. I was cut off by the police officer keeping everyone a distance away from the scene.

"I'm sorry m'am. You cant come pass this point." The officer said.

" Yes I can! She's my best friend!!"

With that he let me go through. I quickly ran up beside my best friend and saw all of the bruises and marks on her face, legs, and arms. I couldn't deal with the sight in front of me and it felt like I had broken down completely. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see one of the paramedics.

"Is she a friend of yours?" she asked

"Yes she is. Do you know what happened to her?" I urgently questioned.

"All we know is that she looks like she's been hit by a car, but we're not too sure. We're gonna have to take her to the hospital. You're welcome to come if you want to be beside her. We need you to call her parents immediately and tell them to go to the hospital."

"Alright I'm coming!" As I said that, the other paramedics picked up Savannah's motionless body off the floor and the only thing I could do was to watch her with my tear stained eyes.

I jumped into the back of the truck with the paramedics and Savannah in the stretcher and headed off to the hospital. I was so frightened by my motionless best friend. She wasn't moving and it seemed to me like she wasn't even breathing. I can't lose her after everything we've been through together.

I was going back through all of our moments and memories together ; the good, the bad, the drama, and tears.

What if she never wakes up?

We finally arrived at the hospital and Savannah was the first one to go out with the paramedics carrying her out in the stretcher and rushing her through the automatic doors. I was close behind trying to wipe the tears away from my eyes so I could actually see.

The lady paramedic from before came up to me and told me to wait in the lobby until they can do X-rays on her and the most get a pulse from her. I was so petrified with the last thing she said.

She wasn't breathing.

The lady ran off with that as I stood there: frozen. The thought of my best friend not even having a pulse is the worst thing that you ever hear.